• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.
  • The 2026 Calgary Area Meetup is set for Saturday May 30th at 10am. The signup thread is here! Robinhood has graciously offered to host the meetup again this year. Please note that you MUST RSVP to the notice linked above if you wish to come.

Really ?

When I'm gone, the memories are gone too

Oh oh. Somebody is getting older. Those kinda thoughts are what causes wrinkles and memory loss. Also a crazy urge to spend money on stupid things that will never pay but make you smile like a little boy.
 
Oh oh. Somebody is getting older. Those kinda thoughts are what causes wrinkles and memory loss. Also a crazy urge to spend money on stupid things that will never pay but make you smile like a little boy.
How so?

I have no expectations to reach old age, my memories will die with me. I sort of assumed that's how things worked
 
I had a 70 Capri with the washer pump on the floor. Just a big rubber ball like an air mattress pump but if you stomped it hard enough you could wash the windows of the guy behind you at a stop light.
Or so I'm told...
I had a base model, 74 Dodge Dart Sport as one of my first vehicles.
It had the foot stomp on the left hand floor board as well. and yeah, if a guy hit er' hard enough...easy to hit the car behind lol
 
I had a 70 Capri with the washer pump on the floor. Just a big rubber ball like an air mattress pump but if you stomped it hard enough you could wash the windows of the guy behind you at a stop light.
Or so I'm told...

The family Rambler had one of those but with a pedal/lever over it. Didn’t work so well in cold weather, the pedal would form a nice curve over the ice cube. I was old enough to figure it out (pre-teen) and straighten the pedal.

That’s about the earliest thing I remember for fixing on a car.

My first Ford had one of those foot high beam switches, smoked when wet. Rubber floor mat.

D 😎
 
I had a base model, 74 Dodge Dart Sport as one of my first vehicles.
It had the foot stomp on the left hand floor board as well. and yeah, if a guy hit er' hard enough...easy to hit the car behind lol
Me too, but mine had a metal ring around the outside that operated the wipers intermittently. KISS.
 
As an ex blonde (now snow white), I absolutely LOVE the blonde joke above!
The funny part of the story is it was a bogus letter that someone made up and managed to get widely circulated very quickly. They had done it on official Washington state DOT letter head and it was a full page of small print, citing studies, tests, planned inspection and enforcement procedures etc. etc. Of course by half way down the page a truck driver would be screaming bloody murder, cussing up a storm and swearing to refuse to travel into or through Washington state. They never read to the last sentence which had the blonde punchline.
 
I believe there was a small "pedal" above the gas pedal that you pushed with your toe. It then engaged the starter pinion with the ring gear and closed the contacts sending 6 volts to the starter.
Yup, my old grand dad got hard of hearing...mostly deaf as a hoe handle, and we had to make him uit driving the old chevy pick-up on the farm...he couldnt hear the starter & ring gear grinding each other to pieces when his toe "rode" that button with the engine already running.
 
I believe there was a small "pedal" above the gas pedal that you pushed with your toe. It then engaged the starter pinion with the ring gear and closed the contacts sending 6 volts to the starter.
Yup I believe the 50's Dodges/Fargo's .yvdad used to run were exactly like that. A spring wound rod with a round pad on top for tip of your foot to push on.
 
Unfortunately in recent years I have found that design and engineering are mutually exclusive. One has a vision and the other cannot see the trees for the forest. I have a friend who is an engineer in the nuclear industry. I sent him a photo of an engine lift that has a pintle hook in place of the dangling hook that consumes over 4-6” of the lift and he said that he didn’t understand. He has used an engine lift and complained about the dangle hook!
I have popped a few engines out of cars and trucks and having the lift being compromised by that dangle hook has caused a few sketchy even for me events.
Pierre
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0916.jpeg
    IMG_0916.jpeg
    713.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0915.jpeg
    IMG_0915.jpeg
    632 KB · Views: 9
I remember a friend had a car with vacuum wipers in it. When you accelerated they slowed down and when you were coasting with the throttle closed they went faster.
My 58 chev had those vacuum wipers they definitely cut down the speed limit going over the Malahat in Victoria when I worked at the Victorian we used a old Chinese vegetable truck to take the waste copies to the dump the battery was never charged up so we used the crank and got a lot of comments.
 
My 58 chev had those vacuum wipers they definitely cut down the speed limit going over the Malahat in Victoria when I worked at the Victorian we used a old Chinese vegetable truck to take the waste copies to the dump the battery was never charged up so we used the crank and got a lot of comments.
The Victorian, we were co-workers. Course I didn't get a company truck, I had to walk or ride my 3 speed mustang bicycle.
 
I sent him a photo of an engine lift that has a pintle hook in place of the dangling hook that consumes over 4-6” of the lift and he said that he didn’t understand.

Would you be able to use a regular 2x2 trailer hitch there? If so, there are lots of cool options for inexpensive but strong chain anchors, not just pintle hooks.
 
Apparently it is a Harbor Freight 2” receiver pintle hitch, and on this particular hoist it plugs in and the owner put a good cross bolt to hold in place.
Pierre
 
Unfortunately in recent years I have found that design and engineering are mutually exclusive.
Not just recently. Ever take a look at an early/mid 70's Corvette intake manifold? The runners go down, then back up to get into the heads. Designers said, we need the low hood, engineers said, then we need to make to lowest performance intake manifold known to mankind.
 
Back
Top