• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.
  • The 2026 Calgary Area Meetup is set for Saturday May 30th at 10am. The signup thread is here! Robinhood has graciously offered to host the meetup again this year. Please note that you MUST RSVP to the notice linked above if you wish to come.

Really ?

Supposedly there is at least one house not far from me with a similar era bunker.
There is a least one on Academy Pk Rd in Regina. The threat was real in the 60s.

Across the street from a previous home of mine. In Amherstburg, there was an underground bunker about 12Wx24Lx10H. But it wasn't used as a bomb shelter, it was built by rum runners to hide whisky back during the prohibition.
 
Across the street from a previous home of mine. In Amherstburg, there was an underground bunker about 12Wx24Lx10H. But it wasn't used as a bomb shelter, it was built by rum runners to hide whisky back during the prohibition.
While I think such bunkers ultimately don't make much sense in the long run, I must admit they do appeal to me somewhat. Maybe it's the "squirrel away provisions for the future" tendencies/mindset many of us have.
 
I seem to recall a drill in school to duck under our desk if we got a warning of attack. Sweet lot of good that would of done to protect us. 😱
 
I seem to recall a drill in school to duck under our desk if we got a warning of attack. Sweet lot of good that would of done to protect us. 😱

During the 70s when the Cold War was still a concern I had an opportunity to study French or Ukrainian at my elementary school. Initially chose French. My dad found out and said, "What good will that do when we are invaded by the USSR?" I switched to Ukranian.🙄
 
I seem to recall a drill in school to duck under our desk if we got a warning of attack. Sweet lot of good that would of done to protect us. 😱
Really? The thought of an attack at our school didn't even come on the radar of anybodys' mind at that time. I remember when our school went from NEVER being locked to being locked up at night. It came about after some vandalism at the school.

I had a good friend that went to school with my oldest sister and he told me that he used to ride the school bus with a 22 rifle during gopher hunting season. Apparently nobody thought much of it but he did say he had to put the gun in the coat closet at the back of the classroom and leave it there until the end of the day.
Yup I lived in the good old days.
 
Last edited:
Really? The thought of an attack at our school didn't even come on the radar of anybodys' mind at that time. I remember when our school went from NEVER being locked to being locked up at night. It came about after some vandalism at the school.

I had a good friend that went to school with my oldest sister and he told me that he used to ride the school bus with a 22 rifle during gopher hunting season. Apparently nobody thought much of it but he did say he had to put the gun in the coat closet at the back of the classroom and leave it there until the end of the day.
Yup I lived in the good old days.
Meh. I know what you mean. I used to fix guns and make parts for them, in my High School shop class.

Funny thing, I was at my stepfather's place and he dug out a 'deal' that he had made, and I busted out laughing, as I recognized one of the parts that I had made almost 35 years earlier...

Cannons were about the only thing that was 'banned' in the metal shop, as one of my predecessors, had blown a hole into an accompanying classroom... Can't count the number of throwing stars that were stuck in various parts of the gym and exterior of the school. Some had many coats of paint....
 
While I think such bunkers ultimately don't make much sense in the long run, I must admit they do appeal to me somewhat. Maybe it's the "squirrel away provisions for the future" tendencies/mindset many of us have.
My next-door neighbor has a bomb shelter. His father built it in the early sixties during the cold war. Just a big room in the basement with a lot of concrete and a heavy door. Sunken lower into the ground, kind of like a split level.
 
Really? The thought of an attack at our school didn't even come on the radar of anybodys' mind at that time. I remember when our school went from NEVER being locked to being locked up at night. It came about after some vandalism at the school.

I had a good friend that went to school with my oldest sister and he told me that he used to ride the school bus with a 22 rifle during gopher hunting season. Apparently nobody thought much of it but he did say he had to put the gun in the coat closet at the back of the classroom and leave it there until the end of the day.
Yup I lived in the good old days.

This was very normal when I was a boy on the farm in Saskatchewan too. A 22 or a shotgun went back and forth to school. Usually they just sat in the back against the wall. We didn't have lockers

Even after my dad moved us to Ontario, I joined the rifle team at my highschool. We shot in the basement under the gymnasium. Often we took rifles home with us on the bus to practice. You didn't even need a gun license to buy a gun back then either. I snared and sold cottontail rabbits to neighbours to buy my first shotgun.

I don't remember the schools or the church being locked. You could always go in whenever you wanted.
 
Went for coffee with a good friend of mine the other day. The coffee shop's patio overlooks one of the busiest streets in the city. Seen a guy on an electric scooter zip down the street in the middle lane. 5 minutes later he came back the other way. Another 5 minutes he once again passed by. While at the coffee shop this happened at least 8 times that I noticed. Looked it up to get a description of how best to describe this behaviour:

A software loop is a fundamental programming concept that allows a set of instructions to be executed repeatedly until a specific condition is met.

🙂
 
Went for coffee with a good friend of mine the other day. The coffee shop's patio overlooks one of the busiest streets in the city. Seen a guy on an electric scooter zip down the street in the middle lane. 5 minutes later he came back the other way. Another 5 minutes he once again passed by. While at the coffee shop this happened at least 8 times that I noticed. Looked it up to get a description of how best to describe this behaviour:

A software loop is a fundamental programming concept that allows a set of instructions to be executed repeatedly until a specific condition is met.

🙂
He was scoping for babes or scanning for scam opportunities?
 
Seen a guy on an electric scooter zip down the street in the middle lane. 5 minutes later he came back the other way. Another 5 minutes he once again passed by. While at the coffee shop this happened at least 8 times that I noticed.

Ya, could be a young guy trolling for girls. But much more likely an old guy who keeps forgetting where he was going and why. I waste several weeks a day doing that.
 
Seen a guy on an electric scooter zip down the street in the middle lane. 5 minutes later he came back the other way. Another 5 minutes he once again passed by.
Courier for a law office. My nephew did that for a while but in downtown Regina and mostly on foot. Put on a LOT of steps everyday
 
Yup our church was never locked either until they found roaming "wine lovers " were frequenting the place a bit too often.
I was visiting a friend (a pastor at a local church) in Luseland Saskatchewan in 1997 or there about - so no that long ago. They never locked their church either. I understood why while we were visiting: Some other friends were coming to get together with us. My friend's phone rang later that afternoon. It was someone on the edge of town letting them know their company had just driven past and would be there shortly. I'm guessing you couldn't get away with anything in that town.
 
Back
Top