• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Ramps

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
F8E541D0-9C9E-48ED-9760-E4FF6FF912C5.jpeg 63E1FFFC-2862-44F9-999F-7BF42FB6780E.jpeg
In theory when you’re using the ramps all the force is straight down from the top of the ramp through this squared off part onto the frame rail. Straight line backing in straight line pulling out

IF you happen to hook the ramps in a twisted up turn the hope is to break a weak bolt instead of tweaking the frame. Sure, breaking off a ramp isn’t gonna be a good day but it beats a tweaked frame

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Interesting, do the trailers have something to prevent them from rolling backwards when trying to hitch up?

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
The pics make no sense to me. Don't know what I'm looking at. Is the toothy looking thing part of the truck or the trailer?

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
The pics make no sense to me. Don't know what I'm looking at. Is the toothy looking thing part of the truck or the trailer?
I'll take a stab at this. The first pic is looking under the gooseneck of a lowboy trailer. The second pic is the front of the gooseneck, sitting on the hitch, the rollers roll up the ramps that @Chicken lights built.

Chicken lights

Interesting, do the trailers have something to prevent them from rolling backwards when trying to hitch up?
Most trailers now have a parking brake. I heard years ago it was an issue without them, you’d go to unhook and the trailer would take off on you. Or worse if it was icy you’d spend all afternoon chasing the trailer around the yard, trying to pin up to it

Chicken lights

The “toothy thing” is my fifth wheel riser. I can slide my fifth wheel and the teeth are where it would lock, in different positions

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
The “toothy thing” is my fifth wheel riser. I can slide my fifth wheel and the teeth are where it would lock, in different positions

So the fifth wheel is the thing that captures the trailer and you have to move it forwards or backwards on the truck sometimes?

historicalarms

Ultra Member
Most trailers now have a parking brake. I heard years ago it was an issue without them, you’d go to unhook and the trailer would take off on you. Or worse if it was icy you’d spend all afternoon chasing the trailer around the yard, trying to pin up to it
Just to add....When you unhook the air lines, All modern trailer air brake pots(since the early 70's) dynamite the trailer brakes automatically. I had my tractor leased to another trucking company, pulling their trailers, The trailer repairs were up to them to keep them roadworthy....they became very lax in this and I was constantly complaining and doing my own repairs to remain safe on the road....until one time I watched the boss unhook his trailer and it rolled away from the tractor on its own, there was not a whisper of brakes left on that trailer. I filed an official report to the peat moss company ( the same company, by the way, that hired the truck that hit the hockey team many years later) but that was ignored so I had to go to the Provincial Highway patrol next...all the trailers were seized within 24 hrs.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
Pretty much. I generally don’t move mine but that’s besides the point

One time I had to move my 5th wheel plate one of those cogs to avoid a $5700 "bridge distance" fine. Bridge distance is the measurement from center of rear drive axle to center of front trailer axle and I was snubbed up 1" too short for the weight I was carrying per axle. I was loaded with 32 tonnes of asphalt and that isn't easy skidding that plate even 1/2 " ....but to save $5700 I'd of pried it back with a screw driver if I had too.
if the trailer is empty you just kick the air lock dogs out from those teeth, lock the trailer brakes and move the tractor the desired amount.

Curious Chicken, what were you hauling on the "double drop"....usually we see you pulling flat deck?