• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Ramps

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
C45B31A5-C551-4456-AED4-8E468B77135E.jpeg
I want to change out the ramps that are on my new truck. The ones on there are ridiculous and also ridiculously heavy. Found these at a wrecking yard on Friday.
FB380D06-DE06-4F48-882C-98CF7204B4A7.jpeg
They just are a bit thin in a couple spots. :D

Chicken lights

C37335B9-1640-481E-9BC7-B38BC81BBCDE.jpeg 84BF456A-F7BB-4534-9B7C-1B83C316DD33.jpeg F561BD52-2CD0-4275-9685-140130CE5E85.jpeg
I like to use a 7” zip disc on a 5” grinder for cutting. That way there’s absolutely no way to use a guard on the grinder. Just watch those fingers don’t get too close

Also in the middle picture I broke out my needle scaler. I’ve never used one before, that’s a useful tool.

Saved the old piece to use as a template

Chicken lights

33BDC8AA-3EDC-4B50-B1E9-20625336289A.jpeg
And now I’m pondering how to cut that reasonably straight like @CalgaryPT was telling me in the other thread yesterday. But my back is starting to tell me it’s quitting time. Plus, I’d rather not use the cutting torches right before trying to shut down the shop for the night.

I think I’ll try a piece of angle iron clamped to the face of it as a guide

Chicken lights

What are these ramps on your truck used for?
When you’re backing up to a trailer, they help pick up the front of the trailer so it’s not as much of an angle when it meets the 5th wheel

The 5th wheel tilts but if the angle is too steep it won’t tilt to pick up the trailer

I dunno how better to explain that

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
When you’re backing up to a trailer, they help pick up the front of the trailer so it’s not as much of an angle when it meets the 5th wheel

The 5th wheel tilts but if the angle is too steep it won’t tilt to pick up the trailer

I dunno how better to explain that

Why is weight a factor? Are they something you install/remove on a regular basis?

Chicken lights

Why is weight a factor? Are they something you install/remove on a regular basis?
Eummm couple things there. No, you generally don’t install/remove often. On my other truck they are welded on likely from the factory.

Other issue is they should be “sacrificial”, if they’re gonna get hooked I’d rather trash the ramps and not the frame rails

For weight- legally 80,000 pounds is considered max in most of North America. If the truck is really heavy then I can’t legally scale some loads

That one trombone load to Texas I grabbed a load of steel that weighed 39,000 pounds roughly. The truck and trailer empty weighed 39,000 pounds. Sure that’s still 78,000 so it worked it’s just an example of why if I have the chance to drop 400 pounds, I’m gonna take it.

You can run half tanks too to shed weight, fuel is roughly 7 pounds a gallon I think

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Eummm couple things there. No, you generally don’t install/remove often. On my other truck they are welded on likely from the factory.

Other issue is they should be “sacrificial”, if they’re gonna get hooked I’d rather trash the ramps and not the frame rails

For weight- legally 80,000 pounds is considered max in most of North America. If the truck is really heavy then I can’t legally scale some loads

That one trombone load to Texas I grabbed a load of steel that weighed 39,000 pounds roughly. The truck and trailer empty weighed 39,000 pounds. Sure that’s still 78,000 so it worked it’s just an example of why if I have the chance to drop 400 pounds, I’m gonna take it.

You can run half tanks too to shed weight, fuel is roughly 7 pounds a gallon I think
Between posts like this and "Highway Through Hell," I'm learning more about the trucking industry everyday.

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Looks like a good project. Don't envy your job though, i have 1A license but no bloody way i would long haul.

Chicken lights

Well, I’m in Wisconsin currently. The grey trucks safetied and I had guys move it to another shop to pick away at some wiring. I’m “assuming” it’ll get moved to my shop this weekend.

Before I start cutting I think I want to mock them up when at my shop, get one side to fit then try to replace the thin pieces

They are roughly 1/4” higher than the ramps on the white truck. So I need to try to drop them 1/4”-1/2” also

I also need to measure the 5th wheel risers, compare both trucks, I need to back the grey truck under a trailer to see if that meets legal height.....

The grey truck 5th wheel is roughly 50 1/2” from the ground and the white truck is roughly 48”

So lots of progress just not necessarily shop time been devoted to them

Chicken lights

Yep.

Delivered yesterday morning. Dropped the empty trailer off. Grabbed another empty trailer for Monday’s rodeo. Fired up the grey truck on the way through to let it warm up. Hitched a ride back into town to drive that one home. Hitched a ride to go grab the white one. All three trucks are home in one spot goal is to grab a pic of the “fleet” today as well as mock up those ramps to keep plugging away on them

I have a “plan” for the ramps :D