• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.
  • The 2026 Calgary Area Meetup is set for Saturday May 30th at 10am. The signup thread is here! Robinhood has graciously offered to host the meetup again this year. Please note that you MUST RSVP to the notice linked above if you wish to come.

Radon gas mitigation in our home.

I've had the Air Things detector for a month now. Both short and long term levels are under 100 Bq/m³.
It rises a little if I shut off the air exchanger but we generally let it run all the time.
Health Canada says anything under 200 Bq/m³ doesn't need to be mitigated unless you really want to or can do it easily.
I guess something else will have to kill me.......
And I finally learned how to type an exponent..😀³
(it's always the little things)
Good news, rest peacefully.

Now how do you do the exponent thing?
 
Below are our radon levels for the last year. If I recall correctly before I installed a fan our levels were over 300 based on a certified 3 month test.

Two things I don’t like about the AirThings Wave is that:
- It detects when I’ve used VOC’s in the workshop…
- There isn’t a mode to hide certain data from my wife…
I have to remember to run the HRV continuously before I start playing with VOC’s…

(The red you can just see below for CO2 is when the smoke was bad in Winnipeg last year)
IMG_9142.png
 
Back to this.... My long term radon average is 110Bq/m3. So I'm going to do something about it after kicking it down the road for too long. I have a bucket sump pump in the floor and I intend to connect a fan and vent out the side of the house. Likely a 3d printed flange, and some abs pipe?. While trying to figure out what I need to buy I came across this calculator https://askhvac.ca/air-quality/radon-mitigation-calculator.html which suggests the fan strength and the number of extraction points required for your specific situation.

1791308571734.png
 
Back
Top