• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

R8 tool holders

Tom Fitzpatrick

I'm sure many of you have been through this maze before so thought I'd ask the veterans and knowledge trust think tank.

1. I recently purchased a 1976 Bridgeport Vertical Milling Machine step pulley 1 hp and am wondering where is the best place to purchase R8 tool holders? It came with a massive 3/4" Jacobs chuck in superb condition, but the tool holder for the chuck is integral to that chuck - at least as far as I can tell.

2. Also are there Canadian suppliers for end mills, boring heads etc. as opposed to places like Shars, & McMaster-Carr to eliminate the exchange, duty and ridiculous shipping charges?
We have had things shipped to Eureka via the Montana Shipping Company, but you're still paying duty, etc.
I've also used Edge Production Supplies here in Calgary, but many times they have to bring in the product as many things are not stocked.

Thanks very much in advance.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Also are there Canadian suppliers for end mills, boring heads etc. as opposed to places like Shars, & McMaster-Carr to eliminate the exchange, duty and ridiculous shipping charges?

+2 on Accusize.ca. But I think it's better to buy Accusize from Amazon Prime - same price but free shipping and free returns. That said, for those few times I had to return, I called Accusize directly and they always looked after me.

There is also Amazon for other suppliers.

And at higher prices there is KBC Tools, KMS Tools, Travers, and ITM.

And of course Kijiji and Marketplace for used stuff.

If you have patience and courage, try AliExpress in China.

Edit - revised to Amazon prime per TB's comment below. I guess I always mistakenly assume everyone has prime. Pays for itself many many many times over for SWMBO & I.

Last edited:

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
+2 on Accusize.ca. But I think it's better to buy accusize from Amazon - same price but free shipping and free returns. That said, for those few times I had to return, I called accusize directly and they always looked after me.

There is also Amazon for other suppliers.

And at higher prices there is KBC Tools, KMS Tools, Travers, and ITM.

And of course Kijiji and Marketplace.

If you have patience and courage, try AliExpress.
Oh course thru amazon prime, unless you happen to be in Markham and want to look at tools in person

A little hit and miss with Busy Bee. Some of their tools are Accusize so ensure they are at least the same price. Accusize online catalog is a good source for that.

If you are new to the game start with Carbide as the cost compared to HS is not that much more long term so definitely something to consider.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
These are great ideas guys, thanks so much. We have a Busy Bee here in Calgary, any luck there or is there stuff too cheap quality?

My experiences with Busy Bee have been more misses than hits. But others have had better success. I'd suggest caution. If you see what you are buying right there in the store before you buy it, I'd be much more comfy.

We all have different preferences. I'd recommend HSS over carbide to learn on because I feel it's more forgiving. But your mileage may vary!

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
These are great ideas guys, thanks so much. We have a Busy Bee here in Calgary, any luck there or is there stuff too cheap quality?
I have bought R8 holders from busy bee (Calgary) and also some from KMS Tools. You can bring the EM's you plan to use with you and check the fit - no slop and a hydraulic fit where the EM just goes in and feel bouncy from the air behind it being compressed. If the EM rocks at all pick another one. Another thing to maybe check is the threaded hole - I've bought one at BB which was surprisingly crooked.

Tom Fitzpatrick

Thanks for this latest tip, - question what does EM stand for? Plus if the hole is crooked, it probably wouldn't fit in the arbor of the mill, right?

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
EM - end mill.
Well even a crooked hole will probably accept the drawbar - the crooked one I had did anyway.

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
There is an ongoing debate . . . HSS vs Carbide.
Learn with HSS
(They can be reground and is a ‘tougher‘ all round material)

Then get the proper Carbide
(Is prone to chipping if mishandled, but with the proper tool you will machine more and longer)