• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

R8 tool holders

@skookumrob I tried out your selection app on your site. I was hoping to see carbide roughing end mills...
Is that something you supply or might do in the future?
Hi @Dabbler great question!

Our testing proved out that our "HP" series and "UHP" series can be run just as fast as a rougher so we determined that making a roughing series was not necessary. You will find the "HP" and "UHP" mills on the red border and black border pages of our catalogue.

Let me know if you need a particular item for testing/trial as we offer that 1st one for free so you can see the quality for yourself!

Here is a link to download the catalogue: https://onlinesupply.ca/pdf/Skookum-End-Mill-Brochure-2024-Links.pdf

@skookumrob One virtue of the corncob type cutters is the greatly reduced pressure to make very large depths of cut; up to 1/2 the diameter of the cutter... Do the
"HP" and"UHP" cutters also share this virtue?

- I don't need this characteristic, as all my machines are large industrial type... Most guys with lighter or benchtop mills really benefit from reduced cutter pressure.

I would love to try a cutter appropriate for cutting mild steel, as in 1045 or annealed 4140 hot rolled - I usually remove all mill scale because of its negative effect on cutter life. I don''t push my machines, as the wear on the bronze nuts is accelerated by high forces. If this is good for you, PM me to make arrangements. My favourite size of cutter is 1/2" double end 4 flute.

Hi Peter, We offer a variety of choices for shipping, depending on the product being ordered. But End Mills are free shipping anywhere in Canada on a $200 order. Under that we offer discounted live shipping rates.
So Rob,
I've wanted to come in and check things out, I go past your place sometimes 100's of times a month. I'll probably try and get in on the 8th but I am curious what sort of stock you have in house, and a bit about your resharpening service. You keep pretty low profile and I respect that but a little self promotion would be nice too. I really like to support Canadian where I can.
Cheers

I'm sure many of you have been through this maze before so thought I'd ask the veterans and knowledge trust think tank.

1. I recently purchased a 1976 Bridgeport Vertical Milling Machine step pulley 1 hp and am wondering where is the best place to purchase R8 tool holders? It came with a massive 3/4" Jacobs chuck in superb condition, but the tool holder for the chuck is integral to that chuck - at least as far as I can tell.

2. Also are there Canadian suppliers for end mills, boring heads etc. as opposed to places like Shars, & McMaster-Carr to eliminate the exchange, duty and ridiculous shipping charges?
We have had things shipped to Eureka via the Montana Shipping Company, but you're still paying duty, etc.
I've also used Edge Production Supplies here in Calgary, but many times they have to bring in the product as many things are not stocked.

Thanks very much in advance.
Are you sure the chuck isn't a JT taper ?

I just got some stuff from Accusize and was happy with their service. Even though I have Prime, they wanted to charge me delivery for one item so with our discount it was slightly cheaper ordering directly from Accusize. One week delivery to the coast and Amazon was going to be slower on the one item.
My experience with Prime is I'm always promised two day shipping but I never get it and their guarantee means nothing.

So Rob,
I've wanted to come in and check things out, I go past your place sometimes 100's of times a month. I'll probably try and get in on the 8th but I am curious what sort of stock you have in house, and a bit about your resharpening service. You keep pretty low profile and I respect that but a little self promotion would be nice too. I really like to support Canadian where I can.
Cheers
Hi Jorogi,

Please do stop by! As far as end mills go, those are primarily stocked at our manufacturing facility in Winnipeg. I have a few here in Langford, but since we ship direct to anywhere in Canada from the factory I did not see a reason for more than a "representative sampling" of mills here.

Resharpening is done at the factory and does have some parameters for it to make sense... ie: low value mills are usually not worth doing, you need to build up an assortment of a minimum of $300 worth for me to bin up and send to the factory (we can chat about doing combined sharpening orders amongst local members if that is of interest). We sharpen the used mills the same as fabricating a new mill, and mark the new sizing on the package for your reference. I highly recommend getting all mills ALL4 (ALCrTin) coated at the same time as sharpening as the extended life far outweighs the cost of coating!

Select your size with "End & OD Grind With ALCrTiN Coating" to get the full service

Here is a link to the End Mill sharpening info page where you can price out how much each mill would cost to recondition: https://onlinesupply.ca/End-Mill-Sharpening

Let me know if you have any further questions!

@skookumrob One virtue of the corncob type cutters is the greatly reduced pressure to make very large depths of cut; up to 1/2 the diameter of the cutter... Do the
"HP" and"UHP" cutters also share this virtue?

- I don't need this characteristic, as all my machines are large industrial type... Most guys with lighter or benchtop mills really benefit from reduced cutter pressure.

I would love to try a cutter appropriate for cutting mild steel, as in 1045 or annealed 4140 hot rolled - I usually remove all mill scale because of its negative effect on cutter life. I don''t push my machines, as the wear on the bronze nuts is accelerated by high forces. If this is good for you, PM me to make arrangements. My favourite size of cutter is 1/2" double end 4 flute.
The HP & UHP have a higher helix angle than roughing end mills do, which changes more of the forces to be axial instead of radial, the result is much lower tool pressure so you should be able to obtain near the same results as a rougher.

I will connect with you regarding the sample mill soon!

Back