• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Quick-change toolpost drill

trlvn

Ultra Member
So, there was Steve Jordan video a few months ago that caught my attention:

He used a cheap Chinese spindle and chuck to make a small cross-drilling jig for the lathe. On Banggood, the kit was less than USD $15, including shipping, so I ordered one. I've gotten it assembled now and I'm pretty pleased.

https://www.banggood.com/No-Power-S...8.html?rmmds=search&ID=41527&cur_warehouse=CN

There are options for bigger and smaller chucks. On my little Atlas 618 lathe, I can only get the compound so far away from the centre line of the lathe. Long drills were not going to work. However, I see myself using this for set screws and cotter pins, etc. Generally, these are pretty small holes anyway. Therefore, I went for the #2 size kit that includes a 0.6mm to 6.0 mm chuck (just over 1/4 inch).

Jordan's video basically shows how to make a simple set up so the spindle can be held in a quick change tool holder. A 1/4" plate screws to the spindle block. In turn, a 3/8" square is screwed into the plate and provides a surface that the toolholder can clamp onto. Simple!

In the picture, I have a 1/4" jobber length drill bit mounted. The mounted stock is 3/4" diameter. To get enough space for that length of drill, I've turned the compound around and extended it back away from the centre line. That's basically the max for me. Normally, I intend to use stubby drills.

IMG_3259.JPG

IMG_3260.JPG IMG_3261.JPG

IMG_3262.JPG

Craig

Everett

Super User
I've seen a few people adapt those units for tool post drills, they look like they should work. I wound up making a whole dovetail block with bushings because it's what I had on hand and I needed the tool, but after seeing Rob (xynudu) from Australia set one up as a basic TPG, I'm thinking about getting one for that purpose.

Looks like you have a nice setup there!

trlvn

Ultra Member
Thanks @Everett I'm having fun in my corner of the basement!

I've seen a couple of plans for using a Dremel-style tool as a tool post grinder. The threaded nose of the Dremel is just screwed into a user-made block that fits the quick change tool holder. (Or a user-made dovetail block.) I guess as long as the threads are cut accurately, it would be secure enough. I'm still working up to internal threading.

I should mention that the Machifit spindle isn't perfect. The shaft isn't a consistent diameter from end to end. Going into the bearings, it is very tight at the driven end but then slides freely towards the chuck end. There is a minute amount of play when the shaft is in the working position. When you get a jobber length drill sticking out the front and a multi-pound drill hanging off the other end, this translates to a perceptible amount wiggle at the tip of the drill. I'll have to see how that works out in practise.

BTW, the kit also comes with a 'saw blade arbor'. I'm not sure what size blades or disks might fit it, though. It might possibly be useful for small cutoffs and the like.

Craig

Brian H

Super User
That's a nice tool. Well done.
I do recall seeing Steve's video and thought I might like to try doing that too