• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Tool Questions on Engine Hoist dimensions

Tool

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Maybe add oil to fix - but - If it raises the same speed, no jerky action (starve for oil) and goes full stroke then likely the size of the pump is just small volume per stroke. Some more expensive pumps are 2 stage (dual pistons) so the larger pump piston is low pressure and high volume and quick. Once there is a load the smaller volume & higher pressure pump piston takes over and raising speed is reduced.
The oil flows from one side of cylinder piston to other - so maybe could have a bit of air at the pump. See if manual advises where to have ram located (full in or out) when adding oil. Is there a bleed valve?
I think there's air in the system. I don't think there's a bleed valve but that could just be failing memory :D

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Like bleeding brakes on a car.
Loosen fitting
Pump stroke down only
Add oil
Tighten fitting
Pump stroke up
Repeat.

Not done for a few years on dirt bike so - that’s my guess

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
I am looking to get an engine hoist/crane for my shop, but have limited space available in the shed. I know the dimensions of the Princess Auto 2 ton crane/hoist, but the Canadian Tire 2 ton is on sale this week, but I cannot find the folded dimensions of the Canadian Tire version. Does anyone have the Canadian Tire 2 ton version and can let me know what the folded dimensions are? The length and width of the floor space that it requires is what I am looking for. Any reason I should avoid the Canadian Tire version? The reviews seem to indicate it is sufficient for my needs.

Thanks,

Lee

@Hruul, Lee you should also check out King Canada brand, store location in Regina and their latest Metal Working Flyer see page 3.

Instruction manual c/w crane measurements refer to page 4

Great Western Saw
1238 Lorne Street
Regina, SK
S4R 8P8

Mike Oleynic - manager
Phone: (306) 543-6970

I have a King brand shop crane, very pleased with it and you sure don't walk into red paint while working around it.

Last edited:

Hruul

Lee - metalworking novice
Followed the bleed instructions included with the manual. Checked the oil level and did have some air come out the fill hole. Oil level was full. Did bleed process again. Slightly better than before but still slow compared to the one I last used at the shop I used to work at. Will try bleeding again, but that might just be the speed it operates at. Thanks all.