• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Tool Questions on Engine Hoist dimensions

Tool

Hruul

Lee - metalworking novice
I am looking to get an engine hoist/crane for my shop, but have limited space available in the shed. I know the dimensions of the Princess Auto 2 ton crane/hoist, but the Canadian Tire 2 ton is on sale this week, but I cannot find the folded dimensions of the Canadian Tire version. Does anyone have the Canadian Tire 2 ton version and can let me know what the folded dimensions are? The length and width of the floor space that it requires is what I am looking for. Any reason I should avoid the Canadian Tire version? The reviews seem to indicate it is sufficient for my needs.

Thanks,

Lee

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
One critical dimension that failed me: Make sure the minimum height fits through your garage door, including any rigging you need above the beam (in case you have an over-the-top beam trolley, for example).
Missed by two inches.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I have the CDN Tire hoist. I can measure it up tonight for you.
I'm happy with it over all and have used it several times to move my mill and lathe.

Hruul

There is a width listed on the assembled crane on the website that is 3” wider than the PA one. But no the depth and someone mentioned in the comments that the lift range or the height is wrong in the Canadian tire one in the manual, so I don’t trust the dimensions listed on the Can tire website. The PA one is setup in store here so I can measure it but not the Can tire one.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
My hoist is:
Base:
33" wide at the rear
23.5" wide at the front
21" deep
The hoist is approx. 29"-30" deep when it's fully raised, without the extension installed.
79" tall as shown.
I can fit it through a 2-6 door (open behind) with a bit of wiggling. It is significantly deeper if the extension is installed or the boom is lowered.
IMG_8300.jpg

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I'll throw in my nickel here (no pennies so can't do '2 cents worth' anymore). I go for Maximum brand at CT whenever given the choice. The hoist on sale looks sweet. Princess Auto is (IMO) equivalent to CT's Mastercraft - OK but not great - but I do often shop at both CT & PA. PA is where I got my 10t pot-a-power which works just fine & was a bargain price on sale.
@Hruul - If storage footprint is a big issue - what about making (cut & weld modification) the rear wheels slide in & out. That could add stability by making them slide out a few inches wider than the original configuration and also narrower it up when going through a doorway or when in storage.

As an aside (and why this thread caught my eye) I have been considering making an engine hoist similar to the one in @David_R8 's pic.
I would use the surplus 4" aluminum channel that I have, plus the port-a-power from my 10t press. Now (thanks to Lee's concern) I'll include making it more compact with adjustable width rear wheels (or maybe make the rear wheels on a removable beam that only comes off when in storage - I don't have to go through any narrow doorways.)
FYI - here are a few pics of my press and the Al channel. Also note: cutting the aluminum to size is accomplished by using both my table saw and miter saw with a 7 1/4" carbide blade for aluminum. Slow & easy + lots of WD40. The smaller blade reduces the tip speed by about 28%. The kerf is also thinner.

Attachments

• IMG-7155.JPG
    IMG-7155.JPG
    390.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG-7157.JPG
    IMG-7157.JPG
    430.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG-7158.JPG
    IMG-7158.JPG
    373.8 KB · Views: 6

Hruul

I purchased the engine hoist from Canadian Tire and other than the instructions diagram not matching the actual unit it went well. Very slow to raise, so I think I need to add oil. (say several comments on that on the website) Will work on checking and adding oil tonight. The issue I was worried about is simply the space it takes when stored. Thanks @CWret for the idea about the adjustable rear wheels I will have to look into that if it causes issues with the other items in the shed.

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Make sure to use hydraulic oil. My port-a-power has a vent to be opened when in use (since there is no reservoir tank with a vent). If not closed when not in use or transport then oil will leak. I had to add oil to the p-a-p and then all was good.

Hruul

Make sure to use hydraulic oil. My port-a-power has a vent to be opened when in use (since there is no reservoir tank with a vent). If not closed when not in use or transport then oil will leak. I had to add oil to the p-a-p and then all was good.
Yes, I bought hydraulic jack oil today. Thanks.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I purchased the engine hoist from Canadian Tire and other than the instructions diagram not matching the actual unit it went well. Very slow to raise, so I think I need to add oil. (say several comments on that on the website) Will work on checking and adding oil tonight. The issue I was worried about is simply the space it takes when stored. Thanks @CWret for the idea about the adjustable rear wheels I will have to look into that if it causes issues with the other items in the shed.
Mine was/is still slow to raise. I added oil when I first got it, maybe I need to add more.

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Maybe add oil to fix - but - If it raises the same speed, no jerky action (starve for oil) and goes full stroke then likely the size of the pump is just small volume per stroke. Some more expensive pumps are 2 stage (dual pistons) so the larger pump piston is low pressure and high volume and quick. Once there is a load the smaller volume & higher pressure pump piston takes over and raising speed is reduced.
The oil flows from one side of cylinder piston to other - so maybe could have a bit of air at the pump. See if manual advises where to have ram located (full in or out) when adding oil. Is there a bleed valve?