Shop Question for the basement shop guys

Shop

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
IMHFO - this can be a ‘life threatening situation’ or worse yet a ‘wife threatening situation’. (Background- my shop is 1/2 of the attached garage)

I have several lines of defence:

1. A few years ago I tried to crush my baby toe. Now I ALWAYS wear steel toe boots. They never come into the house.
04501935-789A-431B-A491-950AE77D416D.jpeg
The laces are double knotted, so they slide on like big slippers.

2. When transitioning from the shop side of the garage to the house side of the garage - i wipe my boots on this Princess Auto boot brush.
E40A49C7-B5AC-4027-8185-7D328808E8EB.jpeg
3. I use this handy broom/dust pan regularly (another PA purchase)
DDF5822C-33ED-4C57-8BCD-56A78521BD69.jpeg
4. The (PA) anti fatigue mats. They are great. Not just anti fatigue but also they work as swarf catchers.
5. Saved the best to last - a battery vac. Soooo much faster and easier than a shop vac for a quick clean up. Not as powerful- but oh so easy.

59B7923F-133C-42C0-8DAC-B424F62C3B43.jpeg

PS - You probably guessed what the added ‘F’ is in ‘IMHFO’

You can never trust someone with a shop that clean. I suspect Mrs. CW caught on to this thread, cleaned the shop, made this post and Mr. CW is in the freezer just out of frame in the non-shop half of the garage. RIP buddy.
I was going to ask about those horizontal spaces between the cabinets and such ...... Is that what is called "floor"?....... I have heard of it, but not in many years.........:rolleyes:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I was going to ask about those horizontal spaces between the cabinets and such ...... Is that what is called "floor"?....... I have heard of it, but not in many years.........:rolleyes:

I've seen @CWret's shop. It's embarrassing. He actually has floor space with nothing on it.

But the good news is that he is on a path of self reflection, meditation, redemption, and behaviour modification. He is thinking about getting a lathe.

Cramming a lathe into all that empty space between cabinets will solve his excessive space problem soon enough :rolleyes:

trevj

Ultra Member
I had a basement room that was my shop space, for some years.

My solution was to have a set of slippers, or shop shoes, and every few years, I would scrounge up or buy whatever remnant of shaggy carpet I could find, at the local flooring place.

The carpet was across the walking route in and out of the shop area, and the long strands were really effective at snagging any chips that were of a size to be able to stick to the soles of the shop shoes. Replace as required.

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
I need to stop in at PA.
The Boot Brush and Ant-fatigue Mats are going to be purchased.
until then,
This is my Mill with sloped chip guides (There is a Catch Box behind the mill column).
If anything wanders, the ShopVac and a Magnet on a Telescopic Handle helps !!

Attachments

• IMG_0240.jpeg
    IMG_0240.jpeg
    591.4 KB · Views: 20

Perry

Ultra Member
I need to stop in at PA.
The Boot Brush and Ant-fatigue Mats are going to be purchased.
until then,
This is my Mill with sloped chip guides (There is a Catch Box behind the mill column).
If anything wanders, the ShopVac and a Magnet on a Telescopic Handle helps !!
I've been waiting for COVID to end. I was sure I was going to be able to scoop a bunch of used Plexi or Acrylic sheets to make a few "enclosures" for a couple of my machines. Still looking. All the barriers have come down, but I think the stores are storing them for the sequel.

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
I've been waiting for COVID to end. I was sure I was going to be able to scoop a bunch of used Plexi or Acrylic sheets to make a few "enclosures" for a couple of my machines. Still looking. All the barriers have come down, but I think the stores are storing them for the sequel.
I just used a couple pieces of wood paneling that I had.
But, you are correct, there should be lots of Lexan & Plexiglass pieces behind store counters and in storage rooms.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Thanks all, I see a boot brush in my future and just being more aware and take more care to keep the shiny little sh_ts out of the house. The shop is 2/3rds of the attached garage, hindsight would have been to have a separate metal working shop.

Thanks all, I see a boot brush in my future and just being more aware and take more care to keep the shiny little sh_ts out of the house. The shop is 2/3rds of the attached garage, hindsight would have been to have a separate metal working shop.
It's never too late to kick her car out....... :rolleyes:
....... Nevermind, I remember you saying something about not liking sleeping alone...... And being as your name isn't john........:rolleyes:
Boot brush sounds like a good start. :p

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
My next job for the basement workshop is to set up a bathroom fan on a timer, so if I use some smelly finish or generate a bit of cutting oil smoke I stand a better chance of exhausting it outside before it’s noticed.

(We also have a Heat Recovery Ventilator, so I’d switch that onto continuous too…)

Jswain

Joe
My next job for the basement workshop is to set up a bathroom fan on a timer, so if I use some smelly finish or generate a bit of cutting oil smoke I stand a better chance of exhausting it outside before it’s noticed.

(We also have a Heat Recovery Ventilator, so I’d switch that onto continuous too…)
The worst is when you're doing something you shouldn't be and the smoke alarm goes off.... Bussssted

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member

Smelly finish and burnt cutting oil eh.......

Ya right. I think you like baked beans... .

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
The worst is when you're doing something you shouldn't be and the smoke alarm goes off.... Bussssted
Been there, done that… Mind you my wife is probably justified to be suspicious. After all, my experiments have ranged right up to seeing what would happen if I used an electric powered leaf blower for cleaning:
- Ornaments don’t have sufficient mass…
- Worked great in the basement when we had a new furnace installed. I was vacuuming at each new concrete wall penetration but got distracted and when I turned around concrete dust was billowing through the basement. I’d vacuum, use the blower to make the dust airborne, vacuum then blower, etc. etc. etc. I did that until the vacuum no longer picked up any dust. Better than moving all our garbage to clean them individually.
Smelly finish and burnt cutting oil eh....... Ya right. I think you like baked beans... .
Don’t laugh, I have considered using Garlic Olive Oil as a cutting fluid, makes it more difficult to differentiate between cutting tool produced smoke and cooking smoke…

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I went for an MRI a couple of months ago. One of the trick questions was if I ever had a metal fragment in my eye, something to consider
I had the same a few years ago, I said that I had and there was a possibility that there still could be. Had to have my eyes x-ray'd first.

Alright you guys. So what is the deal with a metal fragment in your eye and an MRI?