• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Tool Quality of HSS Blanks - Are they all created equal?

Tool

Xyphota

Ultra Member
Is there a big difference in quality of HSS from various sources, or is it all pretty much the same? I would like to purchase some 1/2" x 1/2" HSS for a fly-cutter I am going to make and am open to suggestion on sourcing.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Is there a big difference in quality of HSS from various sources, or is it all pretty much the same? I would like to purchase some 1/2" x 1/2" HSS for a fly-cutter I am going to make and am open to suggestion on sourcing.

No they are not all the same.

I find that high cobalt REALLY improves the life of a HSS edge.

Some suppliers are better than others too. Most of mine are just Amazon high cobalt tools. But if the usage will be demanding, I'll buy good premium HSS from a local jobber.

garball

There’s definitely a difference. A lot has to do with the % cobalt content but in general, US/Europe HSS is better than what comes out of China. I did a grind test the other day and found that my Rex AA, MoMax and Chechoslovakian HSS was much harder to grind than KMS HSS.

cuslog

Super User
Premium Member
From my limited experience, I'd say mainland Chinese HSS in general = not so good. Some HSS I tried from India was terrible.
A few times, I've looked for "Rex 76" as it was recommended to me as a particularly good choice for a job I was doing, never found anyone stocking it.
Anyone know of a supplier ?

Xyphota

Ultra Member
@cuslog Perhaps the "Rex 76" you are looking for is actually the Rex AA @garball mentioned.

EDIT: Just kidding, there are lots of flavours of Rex XX, I'm learning all sorts of things LOL

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Just go to the grinder and try to grind it. If it grinds easy, maybe its not even HSS. From HSS the sparks should be quite few and a bit "dark". If there are a lot of sparks its not HSS & its not too hard. There are fakes out there. I generally do not trust India stuff for anything. I been to India and Pakistan and I do not really see these guys matching China in the next decade or maybe even two (today's China).

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
My $0.02. Don’t save money on tool blanks, buy the best you can find from domestic or euro manufacturers. I have Sandvik and Delevan HSS and cobalt bits that are still going strong at 60+ years old. Yes, they are triple the price of asian products but the cost per year is peanuts.

buckbrush

Any decent H.S.S. will be etched with it’s makers trade name like mo-max or rexAA or…
Also the cobalt amount varies with different makers names. The mote cobalt the more effort it takes to sharpen, and the longer it stays sharp. Cobalt also increases brittleness. M-42 or Tantung are my preferred H.S.S. but I mostly use Chinese made carbide inserts now, they were almost free several years ago, but cost a lot more now. (What doesn’t)