QCTP

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
Let’s all remember this is a mini 7x12, as a prior owner of one myself I would suggest you reset your gibs, they sound loose, parting is extremely difficult on this size of machine, you need constant coolant or cutting oil, I actually used a hacksaw to much greater effect, I marked the cut with my cutting tool then let the machine do the work occasionally changing the contact teeth.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I'm telling ya, try it upside down! Doesn't have to be a big machine to cut upside down.

I know it sounds whacky. It is whacky! But when nothing else works upside down does!

The only problem I know of relates to screw on chucks that won't run in reverse.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I'm telling ya, try it upside down! Doesn't have to be a big machine to cut upside down.

I know it sounds whacky. It is whacky! But when nothing else works upside down does!

The only problem I know of relates to screw on chucks that won't run in reverse.

It's not whacky. Stan Bray suggests this in his book BASIC LATHEWORK FOR HOME MACHINISTS and goes on further to suggest a rear mounted tool post. Harold Hall and others advocate it as well.

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
It's not whacky. Stan Bray suggests this in his book BASIC LATHEWORK FOR HOME MACHINISTS and goes on further to suggest a rear mounted tool post. Harold Hall and others advocate it as well.

Well there you go! I'm in good company then!

So what are others afraid of then?

To be honest, I prefer to part normally. And it works - most of the time. But there are quite a few times when it doesn't. And I'm not resorting to a hacksaw. When my back is against the wall, I part upside down. It confuses the heck out of the part, it gives in, and then falls off.

Someday I'll be wizard at parting like some of the other guys here. But for now, upside down works!

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
Well there you go! I'm in good company then!

So what are others afraid of then?

To be honest, I prefer to part normally. And it works - most of the time. But there are quite a few times when it doesn't. And I'm not resorting to a hacksaw. When my back is against the wall, I part upside down. It confuses the heck out of the part, it gives in, and then falls off.

Someday I'll be wizard at parting like some of the other guys here. But for now, upside down works!