• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

QCTP

I bought this QCTP and what a nice looking piece, but that's all it is, you can't tighten the tool enough to hold it tight and keep it tight, as soon as you start to machine, it loosens up ?????
Am I doing something wrong ?
This is a Dixon style am I right ?
What's the best type to buy ?
Sorry for all the questions.

Attachments

• 20220104_145857.jpg
    20220104_145857.jpg
    406.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 20220104_145851.jpg
    20220104_145851.jpg
    442 KB · Views: 35

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
I bought this QCTP and what a nice looking piece, but that's all it is, you can't tighten the tool enough to hold it tight and keep it tight, as soon as you start to machine, it loosens up ?????
Am I doing something wrong ?
What's the best type to buy ?
Sorry for all the questions.

That's so sad to hear.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Does your issue is with parting only or with everything else as well? Parting is a bit "special operation" and lots of things can go wrong - do you have issues when simply turning down stock, which is NOT interrupted cut?

As for the best QCTP - that is a loaded topic, like "what is the best truck"

Does your issue is with parting only or with everything else as well? Parting is a bit "special operation" and lots of things can go wrong - do you have issues when simply turning down stock, which is NOT interrupted cut?

As for the best QCTP - that is a loaded topic, like "what is the best truck"
Thats an easy 1 FORD is the best truck lmao

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Where did this QCTP come from and how many tool holders do you for it? Sounds like the parting tool holder might be out of spec.

Where did this QCTP come from and how many tool holders do you for it? Sounds like the parting tool holder might be out of spec.
I bought it from Busy Bee tools in Edmonton, I've heard lot's of negative feed back about the parting tool, I wish i would of known before spending $250 for it.

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
Parting is the main problem, the rest seems okay

@Metalistico, I've never used your type of QCTP although this is what I did. I enlarged your two photos taking a really close look at how your cut off blade is sitting and I see space on the flat inside near the bottom. For some reason I believe you may have your blade installed backwards in other words the lettering on your blade should be positioned to the inside. Just try that.

Another possibility is your blade may be a tad high for the holder although your didn't mention size. It has to be something really simple me thinks seeing everything else working well.

Last edited:
@Metalistico, I've never used your type of QCTP but this is what I did. Enlarged your two photos taking a really close look at how your cut off blade is sitting and I see space on the flat side near the bottom. For some reason I believe you may have your blade installed backwards in other words the lettering on your blade should be positioned to the inside. Just try that.
Oh really, I will definitely try that for sure, I hope that's all it is, I can't to afford to buy another 1.
Thanks' Dusty

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Yes, it is. That style usually works very well.

you can't tighten the tool enough to hold it tight and keep it tight, as soon as you start to machine, it loosens up ??
So you are saying the parting blade itself (the tool) comes loose in the tool holder? Or do you mean the tool holder (together with the parting blade) comes loose in the QCTP block itself?

Sorry for being picky, but they are two different problems.

Yes, it is. That style usually works very well.

So you are saying the parting blade itself (the tool) comes loose in the tool holder? Or do you mean the tool holder (together with the parting blade) comes loose in the QCTP block itself?

Sorry for being picky, but they are two different problems.
The tool holder itself becomes loose

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
The tool holder itself becomes loose
Alright.

Most probably a vibration issue. If the parting blade chatters, the vibration can undo the locking bolt on top. Also, if there is play in the compound +/or cross slide, the parting tool vibrations are amplified and can result in the tool holder coming loose.

I would try with the TP turned 90* and use the other holding position to see if it does the same thing.

This style of TP requires a good amount of torque on the tool holder screw to cinch them tight. If one of the cams is not machined accurately, it may not rotate enough to give you enough grip on the tool holder pull-in and vibrations will cause it to back off.