• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Putting a Utilathe back together

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I just pulled the back plate off of this one to bolt to the rotary table..... I just found another, so this one could be available....
Aside from needing a clean, and having been at the merci of highschool kids, it seems fine. It's a south bend made by skinner.

.....sorry for the hijack. :rolleyes:

Are you talking the back plate or the chuck?

The chuck, but I can throw the plate in too if you want. My reason for choosing the other chuck is it has the concentric rings in its face, which I was considering cutting into that one. Now I don't have to....took one thing off my to-do list. :)

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
The chuck, but I can throw the plate in too if you want. My reason for choosing the other chuck is it has the concentric rings in its face, which I was considering cutting into that one. Now I don't have to....took one thing off my to-do list. :)

PM sent.

Thomas

I was wondering what you used to dam up the Babbit when pouring and where to get some.
We don't pour babbit bearings, we have them spin cast ( JD Babbit, Howe TX. ) but there is a local shop who still puddles them. The product your looking for is Babbitrite, or Deacon Mold-Pac or as a trade name bear sh*t, I will see if I can source you some.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Never used the stuff (Babbitrite) but it came up in another conversation coincidentally. If I understand correctly there is an old & new recipe. So maybe delve into it further, or at least don't spread it on your toast if you find a can in Grandpa's attic.

Tom O

Ultra Member
Ok thanks I won’t need it for a while but I am hoping to put Babbit bearings in a steam engine later down the road, we have the Babbit already I just have to get off my tucas and work on it again.

Thomas

I finally was able to get back at the lathe and finished stripping it, lots of caked on crude for the parts washer. Started to take the quick change gearbox apart, might swap out the bearings they feel pretty rough. Ordered the two backing plates for my chucks from Shars for $166CAD they have a Black Friday sale and everything is 20% off.

Attachments

• 20211127_212852.jpg
    20211127_212852.jpg
    334.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 20211127_212909.jpg
    20211127_212909.jpg
    698.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 20211127_212937.jpg
    20211127_212937.jpg
    697 KB · Views: 7

Thomas

Work and life have prevented me from getting back at the lathe but I managed to score some parts only a half hour drive from home, nothing I really need but a spare headstock with good gears and bearings is definitely worth the $50.

Attachments

• 20211204_161652.jpg
    20211204_161652.jpg
    619.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 20211204_162351.jpg
    20211204_162351.jpg
    528.8 KB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot_20211204-202247_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211204-202247_Chrome.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 19

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
That is a good score, if you're sitting down lookup the price of the main bearing and race.
Bed extension is an interesting option, you could use a long enough piece of H beam as a base to keep it in plane with the main bed.

Thomas

That is a good score, if you're sitting down lookup the price of the main bearing and race.
Bed extension is an interesting option, you could use a long enough piece of H beam as a base to keep it in plane with the main bed.
They are a pricey bearing, the company I work for is a Timken dealer might get my buyer to check the list price and see how bad they are marked up.

I did a quick image search to get some ideas on how to add the extension and I think this guy has it figured out.

Attachments

• lol.JPG
    lol.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 12

Thomas

Not yet, between work and family I haven't had a chance to get back at it. I did receive my backing plates, bearings and some tool holders so when I go on vacation next week I should be able to get it together.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Shesh..... All these excuses from guys who are still working at an 8hr job and raising babies..... Wait till they retire and become grandparents - then find out what busy really means....... LOL!