Putting a Utilathe back together

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
8 Hour days? Mine have been running 12+ the last few weeks.

I was just having fun. The hours mean nothing. The fun part is that being retired and old just means you are busier than you were before that time comes.

Thomas

First day of vacation and I was finally able to put humpty back together. I need to turn 0.020" off the tool post I have for it to fit in the compound rest but I will wait until Saturday to go into the shop to avoid being pulled in on a job. Once I have the ability to machine I'll get the chucks mounted until then the electrical needs some attention.

Attachments

• 20211216_165156.jpg
    20211216_165156.jpg
    600.4 KB · Views: 13

Thomas

I was out in the garage today and managed to get the electrical updated, I need to get a DC power supply for the Tach but the lathe is now fully functional. I machined the backing plate for the three jaw chuck, ended up with 0.0005" runout on the chuck and 0.0015" on a held piece of precision ground shaft. 20211223_181112.jpg 20211223_182221.jpg 20211223_195354.jpg

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
That's pretty good runout for this class of machine. I was pretty happy with 0.0025 after bumping the chuck around for 1/2 an hour..... well done.

Love your ESD label BTB:p

Last edited:

Thomas

The new blanks I ordered came oversized, I turned the spigot size for size and it took a little force with the cap screws to pull it in. I was pretty impressed with the runout myself, the chucks are not the greatest quality.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Explain your control panel please. What does it display? What are the plans for it in the future?

Thomas

The control panel has an amazon grade power meter that displays line voltage, amps, watts, volt amperes and power factor. I also included a tachometer but didn't realize it needed DC power so I need to find the ambition to dig through my junk and find a power supply. In the future I may swap in a three phase motor and put a VFD on it but for now it's functional.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
The control panel has an amazon grade power meter that displays line voltage, amps, watts, volt amperes and power factor. I also included a tachometer but didn't realize it needed DC power so I need to find the ambition to dig through my junk and find a power supply. In the future I may swap in a three phase motor and put a VFD on it but for now it's functional.

Amazon Grade eh! LOL!

I use an Emporia Power Monitor installed in the breaker box in the house and another in the breaker box in the barn. It tracks individual circuits as needed and produces reports and summaries for voltage, current, power, and power factor. It does not monitor noise on the line but for now I'm not fussed about that.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member

What inspired that functionality? What size is the motor on your Utilathe? Is it reversible?

Last edited:

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Love your ESD label BTBT:p
Agree,,,, I can picture the crash,,,,,,,then the head drooping as the button is pushed, lol But I hope it never comes to that.
What is your plan for powering the tach? I had forgotten about dual voltage wall warts until someone else on the forum mentioned them. I fed power from the 220 on the contactor then used blade connectors and heat shrink at the wall wart, this is all with the thought that you need DC power for the tach.
Nice tidy wiring, enjoy.

Thomas

The lathe has a 1/2hp motor on it, and as far as the functionality I had the parts laying around so why not. For a dc power supply I have 12v power supply I scavenged out of an LED trouble light that should work.