Princess deals

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
My old, long lasting belts were black zirconia from 3M, but I don't think they make them anymore.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
I'm of that age that I remember when cubic zirconias were introduced as cheap diamond rings. So I can't get past the price of the blue disks and belts. Last batch of 20" disks I bought I cheaped out on the brown ones. Boy do I regret it.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
This stuff from Lee Valley says its aluminum oxide grit (although it looks blue), but seems to cut better & last longer than the 'brown crap' I have, which just seems to dull & lose its grit off the backing after very little sanding. http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=20182&cat=1,42500

btw - I'm talking loose stock off a roll here, not closed loop belting for sanding machines. I also checked the label on my 'brown crap, its KBC Economy roll. I think that explains the price difference between this & the good stuff they offer, but I have another 48 feet to use up. When I see the punishment those knifemaker sanding belts go through, maybe I should just buy some belts & cut it into pieces for handwork. Guessing the backing is probably more rigid & less conformable than the typical cloth, like old school emery paper. Do they even make emery paper anymore? I rarely see it.

RRSpeed92

Wanted to get more PA ideas....

What about stationary belt/disk sander? Seen guys use these for metal work but had some questions:
- I thought that many of these were mainly for woodwork. Would the rollers and belts stand up to use on metal?
- these come in many different configurations.
- smallest is like 1" belt x 5" disk or 2 x 6; useful for knife makers but not sure it would be useful overall
- then you get 1x6 or 2x8 units. PA only carries the smaller models of these and again, not sure they're durable

I do have bench grinders but I find that it's hard to finesse the grinding and thought the belt approach w/table would be more versatile.

What are others using to fill this need?
I know I'm very late to this post. This is also my first post. In my experience the ceramic sanding belts at Lowe's work well and last forever. I do a lot of aluminum melting and use my belt sander daily. Even after a fair bit of steel the belts I purchased back in December of 2016 are still working well.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Right now PA has 7 pack of files for $14.
A good size welding blanket 6x8 for $24ish

Attachments

• 771D93CD-C1A5-4FB6-BCD8-71123CB89432.jpeg
    771D93CD-C1A5-4FB6-BCD8-71123CB89432.jpeg
    141.9 KB · Views: 8

Jimbojones

Went to old PA NE location today and they had unemailed 60% OFF! EVERYTHING.

you know that overpriced forged anvil they sell? It aint so overpriced @ 60% off...heheh.