• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Princess deals

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
My old, long lasting belts were black zirconia from 3M, but I don't think they make them anymore.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
I'm of that age that I remember when cubic zirconias were introduced as cheap diamond rings. So I can't get past the price of the blue disks and belts. Last batch of 20" disks I bought I cheaped out on the brown ones. Boy do I regret it.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
This stuff from Lee Valley says its aluminum oxide grit (although it looks blue), but seems to cut better & last longer than the 'brown crap' I have, which just seems to dull & lose its grit off the backing after very little sanding. http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=20182&cat=1,42500

btw - I'm talking loose stock off a roll here, not closed loop belting for sanding machines. I also checked the label on my 'brown crap, its KBC Economy roll. I think that explains the price difference between this & the good stuff they offer, but I have another 48 feet to use up. When I see the punishment those knifemaker sanding belts go through, maybe I should just buy some belts & cut it into pieces for handwork. Guessing the backing is probably more rigid & less conformable than the typical cloth, like old school emery paper. Do they even make emery paper anymore? I rarely see it.

RRSpeed92

Wanted to get more PA ideas....

What about stationary belt/disk sander? Seen guys use these for metal work but had some questions:
- I thought that many of these were mainly for woodwork. Would the rollers and belts stand up to use on metal?
- these come in many different configurations.
- smallest is like 1" belt x 5" disk or 2 x 6; useful for knife makers but not sure it would be useful overall
- then you get 1x6 or 2x8 units. PA only carries the smaller models of these and again, not sure they're durable

I do have bench grinders but I find that it's hard to finesse the grinding and thought the belt approach w/table would be more versatile.

What are others using to fill this need?
I know I'm very late to this post. This is also my first post. In my experience the ceramic sanding belts at Lowe's work well and last forever. I do a lot of aluminum melting and use my belt sander daily. Even after a fair bit of steel the belts I purchased back in December of 2016 are still working well.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Right now PA has 7 pack of files for $14.
A good size welding blanket 6x8 for $24ish

Attachments

• 771D93CD-C1A5-4FB6-BCD8-71123CB89432.jpeg
    771D93CD-C1A5-4FB6-BCD8-71123CB89432.jpeg
    141.9 KB · Views: 8

Jimbojones

Went to old PA NE location today and they had unemailed 60% OFF! EVERYTHING.

you know that overpriced forged anvil they sell? It aint so overpriced @ 60% off...heheh.