• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Powder Coating Places in Calgary?

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Who's had any powder coating done in Calgary, and what have your experiences been like?

I need to find a place that can routinely do a small run of parts (all about 6x9 inches, plus a few smaller pieces). I also like to find a place that will do a sample so I can see if I have to adjust my jigs.

Any recommendations or places to avoid???

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
None from me. :(

I've always done my own powder, which admittedly leaves a little to be desired, lol.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Peter
I have a counter top pizza oven and the harbour freight powder gun. I can finally help you with something. If you want to bring over a part we could do a test run and see what you think.
John

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Thanks, but I think I'm going to need something bigger. I do recall you had a counter top one. I have a patent prototype and once the patent goes provisional I'll have about 96 square feet a week to do. I am looking at doing the manufacturing from my shop and then sending the parts out weekly. If it goes past 6 months I'll look at someone else doing the manufacturing, but we will see.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
That sounds like decent volume to me, you should be able attract their attention. Let us know who you selected & why. I have very limited experience & it was long time ago. I think it may have been Top Gun but don't hold me to it. They were just some smallish steel do-dads & the guy was nice, he said we do black all the time so if I was ok to wait for a while he would just hang them in the overspray of another job & save me a few bucks. Who knows maybe that's what they do behind the scenes anyway :) Examine the finish of their samples beforehand & bring in your part to discuss just in case it has special features like hidden edges, thin edges, slots, threaded holes... Sometimes that can have aesthetic implications.

Patenting huh? Sounds like you're in the big leagues now!

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Thanks PeterT -- good advice. I am looking around and do want to do a few samples to see if the powder coat thickness means adjustments in my welding jigs. Although I hear 0.005 per side is what to expect (@Janger probably knows from his experience). I also want to see about threaded holes, and a few small openings and how they will work out. I will post my results with the companies I contact. So far RiteWay hasn't returned my calls but JIT seemed pretty receptive.

But I am certainly not in the big leagues....I've just been a closet inventor for years, which is kind of what started me in metal working. Lately I have been helping others build prototypes, and the ironworker I bought really opened up some opportunities for me. Being able to do repetitive punching is heaven compared to drilling.

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
I've researched making my own oven and have accumulated some old IT server racks that should allow for motorcycle frames ...... but have not progressed further as this will consume some quality space in the shop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Good idea. Perhaps motivated by a wife/girlfriend banning the use of the kitchen oven for powder coat? (However unreasonable that seems to me :) )

kevin.decelles

Premium Member
Various pieces of sheet metal (look inside the rack). I pickup old washer dryers and salvage the shells which i use for projects like this. Makes good use of air riveter

kevin.decelles

Premium Member
I'll use standard insulation (roxul safe and sound) as this only needs ~450 F

Pid controller with one or two oven elements , maybe a circulating fan and bobs your uncle

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Just watch the odors coming off the stuff...I know a lot of guys that made smokers out of old file cabinets, but some had lead paint.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Would there be a big temperature difference between top and bottom hence the fan? Pid temperature control? What is that? Great idea.

kylemp

Thanks PeterT -- good advice. I am looking around and do want to do a few samples to see if the powder coat thickness means adjustments in my welding jigs. Although I hear 0.005 per side is what to expect (@Janger probably knows from his experience). I also want to see about threaded holes, and a few small openings and how they will work out. I will post my results with the companies I contact. So far RiteWay hasn't returned my calls but JIT seemed pretty receptive.

But I am certainly not in the big leagues....I've just been a closet inventor for years, which is kind of what started me in metal working. Lately I have been helping others build prototypes, and the ironworker I bought really opened up some opportunities for me. Being able to do repetitive punching is heaven compared to drilling.
The one place I've been in contact with is rockyford distributors.. I cannot recall the dudes name who owns it but he seemed really good and they do runs all the time. They make and sell railing spindles and have a VERY large oven.. I think it was expandable up to 40 feet? I haven't actually used them as every time I got close the people I was doing work for backed out but he was really good to deal with in my experience. Maybe give him a shout.
1 403-219-8568