Plenty O Tools

garageguy

Super User
Premium Member
Mike, how did you know what you were getting? Seemed like the pic of electrical boxes did not show tags or anything but a metal box.

Scattered Parts

Mike
Premium Member
The one I bought was the only one that was still hooked up to the phase converter, so I figured that it probably still worked. It was definitely quite new compared to the other transformers. Oh and it was the only one with a legible label on it! Turns out it steps up from 240 to 480 V and is 9 kVA. Been looking for a while and suddenly here it was!

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
The one I bought was the only one that was still hooked up to the phase converter, so I figured that it probably still worked. It was definitely quite new compared to the other transformers. Oh and it was the only one with a legible label on it! Turns out it steps up from 240 to 480 V and is 9 kVA. Been looking for a while and suddenly here it was!

Certainly better then my setup of stepping up to 600 and down to 460 ;)

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
If it works, at least your equipment is running. My lathe has sat for nearly a year while I looked for a transformer.

True, but I also run 440V stuff on 240V and 440V on 550V for some time now. I guess with a lathe it would be difficult - the 440V grinder was anemic on 240v. It has like only 1/3 power.