• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Plenty O Tools

garageguy

Super User
Premium Member
Mike, how did you know what you were getting? Seemed like the pic of electrical boxes did not show tags or anything but a metal box.

Scattered Parts

Mike
Premium Member
The one I bought was the only one that was still hooked up to the phase converter, so I figured that it probably still worked. It was definitely quite new compared to the other transformers. Oh and it was the only one with a legible label on it! Turns out it steps up from 240 to 480 V and is 9 kVA. Been looking for a while and suddenly here it was!

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
The one I bought was the only one that was still hooked up to the phase converter, so I figured that it probably still worked. It was definitely quite new compared to the other transformers. Oh and it was the only one with a legible label on it! Turns out it steps up from 240 to 480 V and is 9 kVA. Been looking for a while and suddenly here it was!

Certainly better then my setup of stepping up to 600 and down to 460 ;)

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
If it works, at least your equipment is running. My lathe has sat for nearly a year while I looked for a transformer.

True, but I also run 440V stuff on 240V and 440V on 550V for some time now. I guess with a lathe it would be difficult - the 440V grinder was anemic on 240v. It has like only 1/3 power.