• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Please help me to choose a lathe for my project

If you're stuck for space and $$$$, I think I'd be looking at a 3-in-1 machine. They'll give you the spin diameter you need without taking up 3/4 of your laundry room. They aren't too rigid, but if you go slow and take your time they can do reasonable work. In general the lathe is OK, the mill/drill is awkward but useable as a drill press.

3-in-1 machines get a bad rap, but within their limitations it's possible to extract value from them. I've owned them so I have experience with trying to squeeze every inch of space. Anyone else ever had a 6ft x 6ft garden shed as a shop?

One in Sicamous

View attachment 52120

One in Seattle:

View attachment 52121

this one looks good:

Could anyone also recommend a mill model? 7"x7"x1.5" workpiece, face, edge, tilted drilling jobs. There are craftex machines on sale but I'm sure that (unlike lathes) I can find some better offers on fb marketplace.

Could anyone also recommend a mill model? 7"x7"x1.5" workpiece, face, edge, tilted drilling jobs. There are craftex machines on sale but I'm sure that (unlike lathes) I can find some better offers on fb marketplace.

Right back to that combination machine.....

A tilting head ups the anti a fair bit. Tilting the workpiece is a matter of the right fixturing (vise, hold-downs, rotary tables, etc). My mill head tilts, but I've never used it. In fact, I'd go a fair bit out of my way to avoid it.

You might want to try that makerspace for this part of your project too. The learning will serve you well.

I don't think there is a lot of difference in availability between used lathes and mills. It is mostly a matter of location.

In both cases, new is a better guarantee, but you can get more for your money used provided you don't buy a pig. And then there are some poor souls who buy brand new pigs.

Welcome to the Forum

cx709 lathe is ordered in BB
I’m sure you will enjoy this new machine. Please give us a bit of a review of both the machine and your BB experience.
extra space in my minivan if anyone needs something from there
That was a very nice offer
@TorontoBuilder Those look like very nice machines
@TorontoBuilder I agree with Baitmaster. Nice looking lathe. Do you know anyone with one?

@TorontoBuilder I agree with Baitmaster. Nice looking lathe. Do you know anyone with one?

I know of a couple of people on other forums who own and love them. They're both in Oz though. Pretty much just a chopped bed version of the common older style taiwanese gear head import lathes. I really really really wanted one after researching them, and found two manufacturers in Taiwan making them, but ended up finding a chipmaster lathe. It's too big for the space I wanted and caused major rifts and has to go in the tiny garage rather than the tiny basement as I'd wanted.

I know of a couple of people on other forums who own and love them. They're both in Oz though. Pretty much just a chopped bed version of the common older style taiwanese gear head import lathes. I really really really wanted one after researching them, and found two manufacturers in Taiwan making them, but ended up finding a chipmaster lathe. It's too big for the space I wanted and caused major rifts and has to go in the tiny garage rather than the tiny basement as I'd wanted.
When we came to Vancouver we had a SINGLE townhouse option to buy for our budget. Alas, without any garage.( My wife is now traveling so I need to act fast.)
This short lathe from BB is the longest that I can afford space-wise.

Back