• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Pickup, package and drop item off for shipment in Montreal.

Crankit

Look at LTL divisions....Purolator has them. UPS just sold off their LTL division but I don't know if that applies to Canada.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Call Day&Ross. Get a quote for LTL shipment of your box.

Once you have the bill of lading, send a copy to the place you are getting it from in YUL. Schedule a pick-up that is convenient for them online on the D&R website to go get it. Have D&R bring it to their YYC terminal in the NE. Go get it from there yourself.

I did that for a 3000 lb machine on an oversized pallet. $850 in 2018 ( I think it was)

Perry

Ultra Member
Call Day&Ross. Get a quote for LTL shipment of your box.

Once you have the bill of lading, send a copy to the place you are getting it from in YUL. Schedule a pick-up that is convenient for them online on the D&R website to go get it. Have D&R bring it to their YYC terminal in the NE. Go get it from there yourself.

I did that for a 3000 lb machine on an oversized pallet. $850 in 2018 ( I think it was)

That sounds promising. I just got a quote from a LTL for $3000. :( I posted on a site called Uship.

Air Canada will charge me $225 from Montreal Cargo to Calgary cargo. Still working on that as a plan also.

Tomorrow , I will be in contact with shipper. Hopefully they will repackage. I can make it worth their time. :)

Thank you for the reference to Day&Ross.

Perry

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Air Canada will charge me $225 from Montreal Cargo to Calgary cargo. Still working on that as a plan also.

I would push hard to get it on AC for that price as well.

LTL is probably not going to be much different in price. Big advantage with LTL is package size - they can handle odd sized items well.

Perry

Ultra Member
I'm pulling all the strings I can to make the AC side of it work. This COVID adds a few complications. In the old days you could just drive up to Cargo and drop things off. Now, they ask you to call ahead to schedule a drop off. Nothing is as easy as it use to be.

The gentleman that packaged it seemed like a good guy. I could not get in contact with him today. He might help me out also. I'm just trying to cover all my bases.

Have a great night and thank you for the suggestion.

Perry

trlvn

Ultra Member
I posted on a site called Uship.
U-Ship worked really well for me, a few years ago. We wanted to send a hand-made baby change table/dresser from here in Ontario to my niece in Nova Scotia. I arranged 'white-glove' service which basically meant that they wrapped the whole piece in moving blankets and promised not to smash it. Everything went exactly at the times they said and arrived at destination without a scratch. Less than $200.

The truck wasn't entirely full so my piece just added a little more profit to a run they were already committed to make.

Craig

Perry

Ultra Member
OK, back in the game. :)

Found a few areas to save on weight and size ......the pallet was probably a good idea, but it threw my size outside the ball park.

IMG_4858.JPG

I have to admit I was getting a little worried last night.

TOBARApprentice

Super User
I used Manitoulin Transport to move an Optical Comparator from Regina to St.Catherines. Cost was under $110 all in. They will pick up at any business and deliver. Give them a call and I am guessing you’ll have the new mill before you know it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Perry

Ultra Member
Thank you TobarApprentice.

Once the shipper removed it from the pallet everything fell into place. It ended up being cheaper then the original quote from UPS. $129.37 (this includes the $500 insurance) Slowest method. It will be here on Thursday.

Again, thank you for all the suggestions from all of the team.

I'll post a few pictures next week.

Perry

Ultra Member
All I can say is UPS did a bang up job. I'm probably using the term "bang up" too lightly.

I'm about to learn how the UPS insurance and claim process goes. Any tips?

I had called UPS on Tuesday to see if I could pick the package up on its scheduled delivery date of Thursday. Figured it was a heavier package and might make it easier on the driver.
Their reply was they had lost the package. Sent me the claim info to complete. I was not happy. Started the claims process late last night.

Woke up early today with an update on the UPS site that stated "Out for Delivery". Changed my plans for the day and waited around. 1:30pm I hear the door bell. Go to the door to see the UPS driver walking back to his vehicle and package sitting on doorstep. Look down to see a big smashed in section on the back of the box. Call the driver back stating the package is damaged. He will not return , tells me to call the UPS number and proceeds to drive off.

Once I get it open I do find some damage. :( The diamond cutting blade is broken. The plexiglass blade guard is broken. One side of a plastic hinge point on motor controller is broken off.

Now the good side of this is the shipper took a bunch of photos prior to shipping and sent them to me. I'm lucky these photos show all the areas of concern clearly.

I went thru all the packaging material this evening and was able to find the broken pieces off the hinge point. I might be able to glue these back together. The plexiglass blade guard appears to have come apart at all of the glued seams. I might be able to reglue that back together. The diamond blade is toast.

Basically I'm just venting here. Sorry.

I will post some photos up tomorrow.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Just curious (and don't take this the wrong way because I've been down the same road). Is the box cardboard? (says Dell on it).
My experience has been even with heavy foam packing internally, some shippers will find a way to puncture the box, or roll it, or drop it, or whatever.
Probably outside your control but that's why I was recommending cheapo plywood when possible & ideally bolt the machine to an integral base. Believe it or not they can still destroy that but it goes a longer ways to protecting things. And sometimes it still comes under the dimensional weight so use the allowance to your advantage. Its not about the money, its about the headache of fixing or replacing things, especially more specialized goods. I know some sellers just cant be bothered to do carpentry work, but save the idea when you are shipping or have the opportunity.

Not to scare you but the next (familiar) episode might be they say 'improperly packed for goods shipped' & dig their heels in on reimbursement. Sometimes the extra insurance coverage is the get out of jail card because you paid & they just process the claim. But even that may not be straightforward depending on who you deal with, phase of the moon or how their quarterly earnings are shaping up.

Anyway, best of luck. I hope you can get your unique machine together without too much fuss & pain.

Perry

Ultra Member
OK as promised a couple of photos. The first two are of the unit as it sits now.

DSC_3200.JPG
DSC_3196.JPG
And this is prior shipping. I circled the two areas in the prior to shipping that shows they were ok. :)

IMG_4851(1)-circled.jpg

My forensics....lol. The upper sections wrapped in hard foam, and then bubble wrap. The box was stuffed full of packaging peanuts (with nowhere for them to go). The solid blow probably placed enough transferred load onto the blade guard which broke. The broken guard pushed into the blade and broke it.

I have not figured out what cause the motor control box hing point to be broken. I was lucky to recover all the little pieces.

So for future reference..... if you are shipping UPS read Terms and Conditions of Service. 19 pages of legal ,cover my butt document in favor of UPS. Also read 44 pages document Rates and Service Guide. another cover my butt document in favor of UPS. In this document pay attention to packaging. I'm lucky. It appears my package exceeded the UPS requirements.

My only concern presently is in the first document

Section 3.3 Prohibited Articles
– Personal Effects and Unaccompanied Baggage shipped to any other country except the United States. See Section 3.5 for details.
(only pasted the part that I was worried about)

And Section 3.5 Personal Effects and Unaccompanied Baggage
These are Shipments containing used items intended for personal use rather than items being shipped for distribution, business maintenance or wholesale/retail sale. Examples of such items include (without limitation) used clothing, previously purchased goods, personal grooming items, a suitcase contained within a carton or box, etc.
– These items may only be shipped within Canada and to the U.S., and only on a Pre-approval basis.
– Specific export documentation is required for shipping Personal Effects and Unaccompanied Baggage to the U.S., including: • U.S. Customs form 3299 • Proof of Status, such as a copy of a passport, visa, or birth certificate.
– Shipments of Personal Effects and Unaccom-panied Baggage to some destinations other than Canada and the U.S. may be accepted at The UPS Store® locations.
(full section cut and pasted)

Does this fall under a personal effect? Personal use? Previously purchased goods? These items may only be shipped within Canada and to the U.S., and only on a Pre-approval basis.
I worried they will use this as a loop hole. I did not receive any pre-approval?

I phoned in my claim today. They will return my call within in 24 working hours. Is it worth completing the online claim form also?

If anything it is a great learning experience. I'm glad it was not damaged any more then it was.

Perry

Ultra Member
Just curious (and don't take this the wrong way because I've been down the same road). Is the box cardboard? (says Dell on it).
My experience has been even with heavy foam packing internally, some shippers will find a way to puncture the box, or roll it, or drop it, or whatever.
Probably outside your control but that's why I was recommending cheapo plywood when possible & ideally bolt the machine to an integral base. Believe it or not they can still destroy that but it goes a longer ways to protecting things. And sometimes it still comes under the dimensional weight so use the allowance to your advantage. Its not about the money, its about the headache of fixing or replacing things, especially more specialized goods. I know some sellers just cant be bothered to do carpentry work, but save the idea when you are shipping or have the opportunity.

Not to scare you but the next (familiar) episode might be they say 'improperly packed for goods shipped' & dig their heels in on reimbursement. Sometimes the extra insurance coverage is the get out of jail card because you paid & they just process the claim. But even that may not be straightforward depending on who you deal with, phase of the moon or how their quarterly earnings are shaping up.

Anyway, best of luck. I hope you can get your unique machine together without too much fuss & pain.

I was typing my message when you posted this.

Yes, the box was cardboard and it said Dell on it, but.......
DSC_3222.JPG

7.5 mm thick. It's a solid piece. With it sealed and the packaging material in place there was nowhere for anything to move. To my surprise the base of this unit is a solid cast heavy aluminum tray. I thought is was a plastic tray. Most of the weight of this is in the bottom of the unit. The tray fit perfectly into the box. No movement. With the amount of packaging peanuts in the container and the surface area of the tray you could have probably flipped the unit upside down with no movement.

These next three photos show what I seen when they delivered it yesterday. It was obvious the box had taken a solid hit. The one side of the box is pretty soft and out of shape.
DSC_3179.JPG DSC_3218.JPG DSC_3219.JPG

Plywood wood have definitely been a better choice.

I'm sure I will get to hear their pre made script tomorrow. That is why I spent the time reading all of their documentation.

Last edited: