• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

PA Forges?

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Those are made here on Vancouver Island.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
This is what I found out.

Mighty Forge
17 years 10 months
  • President
    Apr 2003 - Present17 years 8 months
    Duncan BC
    Mighty Forge is a custom forge designer of specially produced hand crafted propane and natural gas forges for a wide range of industries including: Blacksmiths, farriers, blade smiths and metal artisans market.
  • President
    Feb 2003 - Present17 years 10 months
    Duncan BC

Tom O

Ultra Member
It would be good for Forging & casting but I think the price is high for what it is I’ve never liked the pushbutton spark ignighters.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Mighty website has the Mighty Forge listed as $935.00 Canadian. If this item is identical to the PA one then in my view its appears to be a good deal. Just saying!

the PA model has 1 burner instead 2 and the interior is 7.5x7.5x3.5 instead of 11.5x7.5x3.5. So the mighty model is the next size up I suppose. Made in Canada on the island that’s great. This is tempting. Tom mentioned it seems pricey for what you get. I agree on one hand but it’s been designed and developed and just works I imagine. That’s worth a fair bit I think. Do you want to develop and build tools or use the tools? Gotta pick sometimes. anyway I was pretty impressed and I hope it goes well for them.

francist

Super User
I have one of the original MightyForges I bought some years ago (2012 or 13, I think). Nice units, and a really nice guy too. Unfortunately I have yet to fire the thing and it still sits in my back bedroom waiting to be tried out :rolleyes:

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
Do you want to develop and build tools or use the tools? Gotta pick sometimes. anyway I was pretty impressed and I hope it goes well for them.

Good points @Janger . Materials I'd put at about 150 bucks (regulator and fire-brick are the biggest costs), and something easy to make if you have some scrap steel.

Burner design/build is very simple, there is tons of material on the net (search Riel Burner etc.). I make my own burner for propane fired furnace for casting for < 10 bucks at home depot. 1" gas pipe, brass nipple w/end, a bell-reducer......

But, to just press a button and be in "forged in fire" mode, the cost may be acceptable because it isn't outrageous. Personally, I'd build my own forge and buy a new tig welder or plasma cutter or another shaper :eek: I'll definitely be going to take 'dimensions' off the one at PA. I have about 3 old 10 gallon air compressor tanks 'begging' to become a forge.

I like the made in Canada angle, and if I was buying one, I'd probably try and get @francist to sell me his to get it out of his back bedroom and free up room for another tool for him. Maybe I can do a west coast swing and buy some tools from the lucky-devil @David_R8 given his recent lottery win!

francist

Super User
Haha, wishful thinking! I’ll fire it soon, I can feel it coming on again. A bunch of family stuff just got in the way for a few years but my time is slowly coming back again.

B42481E7-96BC-4569-AF29-DF068A789328.jpeg

Last edited:

francist

Super User
Thanks @David_R8 It’s the butt end of an outdoor fire poker I made as a gift for a lady I worked with. My mom liked it too, it was the last thing of my making that she saw.

-f

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I have one of the original MightyForges I bought some years ago (2012 or 13, I think). Nice units, and a really nice guy too. Unfortunately I have yet to fire the thing and it still sits in my back bedroom waiting to be tried out :rolleyes:

Well Frank we all want you to get it going and show us what it’s like! Go frank go frank go frank!