• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Oxy/fuel rig

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Yes I remember watching a video on the Smith torch & they specifically said did not require flashback arrest. One would think in a lawsuit itchy country they would err on the safe side & recommend it be there. I really don't know if its the absence of oxygen line that makes it different (air is sucked in at the base of the torch handle mixed with acetylene downstream at the tip). So more like a butane torch principle? I'd be inclined to install FBA anyways, but good point.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Mr. safety comment :):rolleyes:
David your regulators might have flash back arrestors but I do not see any on other pictures. The Rio grande torch seems to be missing it too. I was told by the weld instructor they are required in Alberta anyway. Be a good thing to add to any torch setups.

Thanks John,
This torch body has built in arrestors. There’s one on the oxy reg but oddly not on the fuel reg.
I’m going to add new arrestors on both regs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
Mr. safety comment :):rolleyes:
David your regulators might have flash back arrestors but I do not see any on other pictures. The Rio grande torch seems to be missing it too. I was told by the weld instructor they are required in Alberta anyway. Be a good thing to add to any torch setups.
But the bungee cords holding my tanks to the cart are good to go? :D

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Yes, my needs are heating and cutting. I can't see myself welding though brazing is an option. I do have TIG available but I've never tried it for brazing.
I used to do a bit of oxy/acet welding and was fairly good at it but that was 25 years ago and my mig welder has basically filled that purpose ( but wish I had a tig also). And never seem to find a need anymore for gas welding.

I still like having an oxy/acet setup for heating, brazing and even the occasional cut yet. On the farm it usually required the biggest tips for as it always involved big chunks of iron. I now have bought the tiniest ones available for silver soldering stuff.

I think one of the last real gas welding job I remember doing was welding on a new muffler on an old truck and for that, a gas welding torch was just the ticket for that job. Does anyone know if they still use that in a muffler shop these days?

Last edited:

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I used to do a bit of oxy/acet welding and was fairly good at it but that was 25 years ago and my mig welder has basically filled that purpose ( but wish I had a tig also). And never seem to find a need anymore for gas welding.

I still like having an oxy/acet setup for heating, brazing and even the occasional cut yet. On the farm it usually required the biggest tips for as it always involved big chunks of iron. I now have bought the tiniest ones available for silver soldering stuff.

I think one of the last real gas welding job I remember doing was welding on a new muffler on an old truck and for that, a gas welding torch was just the ticket for that job. Does anyone know if they still use that in a muffler shop these days?

I’ll admit that I am curious about trying oxy/acetylene welding but I’m leery about the acetylene tank in my home shop.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
Check with your local Oxy supply store for the noxious gas created when cutting or welding galvanized metals before using either propane or Oxy on such coated metals...I was on a crew one time where 3 guys were carted off to the hospital for a week in some sort of "breathing chamber" after using one or the other. Extremely noxious fumes are created with one or the other but I cant remember which for the life of me right now. The company got a directive from Ab. safety board to use "the opposite" to what was used in that instance.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Check with your local Oxy supply store for the noxious gas created when cutting or welding galvanized metals before using either propane or Oxy on such coated metals...I was on a crew one time where 3 guys were carted off to the hospital for a week in some sort of "breathing chamber" after using one or the other. Extremely noxious fumes are created with one or the other but I cant remember which for the life of me right now. The company got a directive from Ab. safety board to use "the opposite" to what was used in that instance.
I was always told the galvanized metal was a bad thing when using an acetylene torch....I didn't know there was a difference with propane. I have made the crazy green, heavy smoke with my rig many many times but try to avoid inhaling it.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I was always told the galvanized metal was a bad thing when using an acetylene torch....I didn't know there was a difference with propane. I have made the crazy green, heavy smoke with my rig many many times but try to avoid inhaling it.

Definitely!
I have some galvanized pipe lengths leftover from a chainlink fence install that I'd like to use to use a legs for my welding table but I'm leery about using them because of the coating.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Definitely!
I have some galvanized pipe lengths leftover from a chainlink fence install that I'd like to use to use a legs for my welding table but I'm leery about using them because of the coating.
You can grind off the coating in the area you need to weld. You can also burn off the coating in open fresh air but im sure that would still be frowned upon by the safety police. Be carefull and you can be safe.

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
I’ll admit that I am curious about trying oxy/acetylene welding but I’m leery about the acetylene tank in my home shop.

Leery how? Fire? Explosion? Off-gasses?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Leery how? Fire? Explosion? Off-gasses?
I might be overly cautious but it's the risk of explosion that worries me. That said, I have two 20lb propane tanks, one in the BBQ next to my house and another in the shed. So maybe I'm just being paranoid.

Tom O

Ultra Member
I might be overly cautious but it's the risk of explosion that worries me. That said, I have two 20lb propane tanks, one in the BBQ next to my house and another in the shed. So maybe I'm just being paranoid.

I think the whole paranoid thing is brought on by flashback on lower/ empty bottles before people started using the flash eliminator.

Tom O

Ultra Member
Definitely!
Put them in a vat of white vinegar it will remove the zinc.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Put them in a vat of white vinegar it will remove the zinc.
Muriatic acid works really well also.
Indeed, that is what I've discovered.
Since I don't have anything I can easily submerge a 32" length, I may just treat 6" of the end.

Edit:I suppose I could get a length of 4" ABS, cap one end and fill it with pickling vinegar.

Johnwa

Ultra Member

Other than the flashback issue, acetylene is far safer than propane inside a shop. Over filled propane bottles, or full ones on an extremely hot day, will vent propane to relieve the pressure. That’s also the reason propane powered vehicles aren’t allowed in indoor parades.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Other than the flashback issue, acetylene is far safer than propane inside a shop. Over filled propane bottles, or full ones on an extremely hot day, will vent propane to relieve the pressure. That’s also the reason propane powered vehicles aren’t allowed in indoor parades.
Thanks John, I'm rethinking the propane/acetylene approach.
One of the torch bodies has built-in arrestors as do the regs so that has me covered there. I'm a safety-nut that's why I'm apprehensive.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Well I got an estimate for propane compatible torch nozzles for my current torch bodies.
New #6 rosebud $239.55
New brazing head $87.08
Two brazing tips $87.79
Total including tax is $462

A 20 lb propane tank swap is $30 at my corner Esso.
A B tank is $52 to fill.
$462 is a heck of a lot of acetylene at $22 difference per tank fill.

Last edited:

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I'm not sure I follow you David. You mean $462 is the cost of buying propane torch setup?

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I'm not sure I follow you David. You mean $462 is the cost of buying propane torch setup?
Sorry Peter, I wasn't clear at all...
$462 is the cost to add propane compatible nozzles to my existing Victor torch bodies.