• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Oxy/fuel rig

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I'm not sure I follow you David. You mean $462 is the cost of buying propane torch setup?
Ha ha i couldn't figure it out either but figured i just missed something and didn't want to ask.....

Ya wow. That is a big chunk of change to go to propane.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
From what I’ve read, the major benefit of switching from acetylene to propane is the lower fuel cost.

To do it properly with the appropriate nozzles and reg the math doesn’t work out for a home gamer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
From what I’ve read, the major benefit of switching from acetylene to propane is the lower fuel cost.

To do it properly with the appropriate nozzles and reg the math doesn’t work out for a home gamer.

Yes and no, I picked up my torches off Kijiji years ago. They came with one K cylinder of oxygen, regulators, hoses and torch handle. I honestly don’t remember the price but I’m guessing $200-ish. The cutting tips aren’t any more money than oxy-acetylene

But then again like I said I only ever planned to use it for heating and cutting. I’ve never needed a rosebud tip nor a brazing tip, until very recently wished I had a brazing tip for a little more precision heating

Chicken lights

Yes and no, I picked up my torches off Kijiji years ago. They came with one K cylinder of oxygen, regulators, hoses and torch handle. I honestly don’t remember the price but I’m guessing $200-ish. The cutting tips aren’t any more money than oxy-acetylene

But then again like I said I only ever planned to use it for heating and cutting. I’ve never needed a rosebud tip nor a brazing tip, until very recently wished I had a brazing tip for a little more precision heating

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member

Yup, all the gear I picked up totaled 350 including the 125 cu ft tank.
I picked up a propane tip for the cutting torch and T grade hoses. So I’m inclined to just go with the cutting torch with the propane tip and see how the brazing tips work with propane.

Chicken lights

B445CC01-B084-403E-89BE-0F60F8924C3E.jpeg
I’d be interested in seeing how you make out with a brazing tip, the cutting tips are completely different between propane and acetylene
Something about how the gases mix or something

But then again that comes back to how they are different in how you light them. I think

shooter910

I know im late to the party but david_R8 if you haven't got anything yet another option would be "starflame" it is basically a mix of propane and acetylene and will work in you standard acetylene tips for both cutting,heating and welding and yes it is just a little colder than pure acetylene but hotter than propane...if that makes sense?

as a small test you can buy it at the hardware store for your plumbing torch and it is called "mapp gas"
only down side for home use is it only comes in the bigger tank which cost about $120 to fill (east coast) and not sure what the contract for just it alone but i do know it will outlast the same size acetylene bottle by about 25 to 1 might even be a bit more

How i know this? I run a muffler shop and when we used acetylene we would use one bottle a week switched to starflame and we now get 6 months easily out of that bottle and basically the same size bottles and oxygen consumption is not different enough to see

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I'm late to the party as well, just a quick thought here. I've never rented a bottle in my life, and have had MIG and OA rigs for 40 years. My OA bottles last about 8 years before I empty them, and then I just pay the 70$ each to recertify them... this works out to 14$ per year 'rental' for my rig. the downside is that the Axetylene bottle is B sized (about 30" tall 6" in diameter, and can't offgass enough acetylene to use the large rosebud... I get spurts of xlene into the tip when I try...

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I'm late to the party as well, just a quick thought here. I've never rented a bottle in my life, and have had MIG and OA rigs for 40 years. My OA bottles last about 8 years before I empty them, and then I just pay the 70$ each to recertify them... this works out to 14$ per year 'rental' for my rig. the downside is that the Axetylene bottle is B sized (about 30" tall 6" in diameter, and can't offgass enough acetylene to use the large rosebud... I get spurts of xlene into the tip when I try...
I lucked into a B tank so scooped it up and exchanged it for a full tank.
So I have the same rosebud situation, I'm considering a smaller rosebud as a solution.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Good to know...I didn't know that could be a problem. I also have a small acetylene tank and I've been wanting to get a rosebud torch but I will have to keep that in mind.
I have a "Harris" style torch and finding torch tips seem a bit hard so far.