• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Ontario Members: any interest in a meet/Greet?

Interest in a Meet/Greet/Demo?

• I would like to go: February works

Votes: 7 87.5%
  • I would like to go: February doesn’t work

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Brent H

Ultra Member
We will have to see what is in the cards - not looking great with the new virus strain. Should know more after Christmas

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
It would be great to have a Meet & Greet.
The OMICRON variant is a concern.

Probably will be OK after I get a 3rd shot.

It would be great to have a Meet & Greet.
The OMICRON variant is a concern.

Probably will be OK after I get a 3rd shot.
If I'm not mistaken it takes 2 or 3 weeks before a shot has full effect. The vaccination system where I am has become swamped with demand for booster shots. Very hard to get an appointment. I only managed by getting online in the middle of the night. Good thing I'm an insomniac any way! Now scheduled to get my booster on the 29th.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
If I'm not mistaken it takes 2 or 3 weeks before a shot has full effect. The vaccination system where I am has become swamped with demand for booster shots. Very hard to get an appointment. I only managed by getting online in the middle of the night. Good thing I'm an insomniac any way! Now scheduled to get my booster on the 29th.

I'm over 70 so my third shot is behind me.

Picking up grandkids as I write this. Did my first rapid test.

Also just ordered a kit of 5 tests online.

That's another option for the meet and greet for those who can't get the vaccine.

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
I have been into the GTA twice a week for the last 18 months to head offices and warehouses.
The only concern now is the Omicron spread.
Wear your mask and sanitize your hands.
We will get through this.

Very sorry to say I won't be able to make it in February. I'm in for two months of daily radiation treatments until March.

trlvn

Ultra Member
Very sorry to say I won't be able to make it in February. I'm in for two months of daily radiation treatments until March.
Well, it is good that you are getting treatment but that is a hard row to hoe. We're all pulling for you. Give me a shout if there is anything you need help with.

Craig

Brent H

Ultra Member
@Canadium : you focus on you and getting better!!

As for the meet and greet I will now put it out there to postpone until say early April. This will hopefully give time for all the Covid stuff to be calming down and more people can get the booster if they wish along with nicer weather for travel and hopefully being outside a bit.

I would love for Ian to attend as well.

The government’s decision to pull the kids from school and back to on line learning is also causing a lot of stress for my wife who is a teacher. Having a group over is probably not a stud move on my part at this time.

We also have a few new members that may be able to organize a little display of casting or such?

Anyway - meet and greet for April 2/3 or 9/10 ish.

deleted_user

Super User
@Canadium : you focus on you and getting better!!

As for the meet and greet I will now put it out there to postpone until say early April. This will hopefully give time for all the Covid stuff to be calming down and more people can get the booster if they wish along with nicer weather for travel and hopefully being outside a bit.

I would love for Ian to attend as well.

The government’s decision to pull the kids from school and back to on line learning is also causing a lot of stress for my wife who is a teacher. Having a group over is probably not a stud move on my part at this time.

We also have a few new members that may be able to organize a little display of casting or such?

Anyway - meet and greet for April 2/3 or 9/10 ish.

Offering my unsolicited two cents, I'd wait until May so that the chances of having to cancel are minimized.

Omicron may spike and fade quickly given it's high reproduction number but there will be new variants that may bring worse still. At least one has been identified, and it is a certainty now that we will require annual boosters.

I initially went into medicine and studied microbiology among the subjects but switched to general sciences and engineering. I've worked in occupational hygiene and specialized in the identification and mitigation of aerosol health hazards.

As I've said from day one, all variants of Covid really require everyone to properly wear N95 masks in order to radically slow transmission. The government of course issued denials to cover up the fact that they failed to prepare properly in the aftermath of SARS which was another epidemic my family was personally caught up in. reality has not changed, only government messaging.

My brother has compromised immune system and I have an immune disorder. We've been isolating in our respective homes for two years, we've put off non-vital healthcare, worn N95 or better the whole time we had to go into the public. We both had two rounds of astra zeneca because it was available much faster. It is useless against omicron. We both just got our pfizer boosters in late December. We've sacrificed too much to get dead now and vaccinated people are dying from omicron for all that it does less harm to lower respiratory tract.

That said, virtual solitary confinement is hard. The first summer of covid we built a greenhouse from scratch to grow hydroponic vegetables. We were able to safely see people. If you picked May the weather should be good enough to visit outside even if another variant comes along.

I suggest that you require proof of vaccination, it is easy with the app. I dont even want to know people who object to proof of vaccination, because they obviously dont care if their ignorance kills me. So many metal working hobbyists are on the older side with health issues.

And finally in closing, I wish everyone good health and hope you work to stay safe.

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
Offering my unsolicited two cents, I'd wait until May so that the chances of having to cancel are minimized.

Omicron may spike and fade quickly given it's high reproduction number but there will be new variants that may bring worse still. At least one has been identified, and it is a certainty now that we will require annual boosters.

I initially went into medicine and studied microbiology among the subjects but switched to general sciences and engineering. I've worked in occupational hygiene and specialized in the identification and mitigation of aerosol health hazards.

As I've said from day one, all variants of Covid really require everyone to properly wear N95 masks in order to radically slow transmission. The government of course issued denials to cover up the fact that they failed to prepare properly in the aftermath of SARS which was another epidemic my family was personally caught up in. reality has not changed, only government messaging.

My brother has compromised immune system and I have an immune disorder. We've been isolating in our respective homes for two years, we've put off non-vital healthcare, worn N95 or better the whole time we had to go into the public. We both had two rounds of astra zeneca because it was available much faster. It is useless against omicron. We both just got our pfizer boosters in late December. We've sacrificed too much to get dead now and vaccinated people are dying from omicron for all that it does less harm to lower respiratory tract.

That said, virtual solitary confinement is hard. The first summer of covid we built a greenhouse from scratch to grow hydroponic vegetables. We were able to safely see people. If you picked May the weather should be good enough to visit outside even if another variant comes along.

I suggest that you require proof of vaccination, it is easy with the app. I dont even want to know people who object to proof of vaccination, because they obviously dont care if their ignorance kills me. So many metal working hobbyists are on the older side with health issues.

And finally in closing, I wish everyone good health and hope you work to stay safe.
Friend, I’m not ok getting carded to go in to stores.

If you’re wearing a mask and have gotten vaccinated, you shouldn’t be scared of unvaccinated people?

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Not getting into a debate, but the vax isn't stopping this. Live your life. If you're scared because of personal reasons, then best not to be around anyone, vaxxed, or unvaxxed. the numbers are out there. The vax isn't stopping the spread. This is about personal responsibility, not who is vaxxed or unvaxxed.

darrin1200

Darrin
@Canadium Get well. I have a friend in BC who just rang the bell yesterday for her last treatment.

@Brent H I am up for postponing to nicer weather. LOL
May might be a good choice, but you have final say.

As for vaccine requirement? That would be my preference. If not, I’m fine with outdoors and full protocol. Keeping in mind, masks don’t protect the wearer, they protect others.

gerritv

Gerrit
Been there, done that. Radiation is quite draining of your energy. I had 35 doses of it in 2012.
Radiation treatment often affects your digestive system and appetite, in my case it was prostate so directly impacted bowels. I highly recommend https://www.amazon.ca/Essential-Cancer-Treatment-Nutrition-Cookbook/dp/0778802981/ ass it proviides recipes based on symptons/side effects of treatment. A friend of ours, George Geary, donated some of the recipes. Book is written by someone associated with Sunnybrook.
My wife would make various of the muffins, took them with us frozen, got eaten on the slow drive home while stuck in traffic. :)

Gerrit

gerritv

Gerrit
Sorry to hear that I hope it’s one of the easier ones to beat.
Sadly even if they say it is cured, the cancer never really leaves. You might get tested less often, but the thought of it is always there in the background. Some cures have permanent side effects as well that yyou need to learn to live with.

Gerrit