Ontario Members: any interest in a meet/Greet?

Interest in a Meet/Greet/Demo?

• I would like to go: February works

Votes: 7 87.5%
  • I would like to go: February doesn’t work

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Brent H

Ultra Member
Hey folks, I asked my wife and she was cool with it:

Would any folks be interested in coming up to my place for a day in the first 2 weekends of February for a meet up, maybe some tool swapping, maybe some demonstrations, beers etc?

We could work out the details if there is interest and perhaps establish some demo’s according to interest.

We can do stuff on the Lathe, Mill, welding etc. maybe even some tool sharpening if I can get my shite together next month and put a new belt on the ol’ Cincinnati

Trying this a Poll to see how it works :cool:

Love the idea but would be worried about road conditions in winter. I was also considering offering my back yard as a meeting place in summer. Unfortunately weather is not great any more for outdoor meet ups and next summer is a long ways away.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Nice idea. Follow the health Reg’s and I would require everyone be vaccinated. Wear N95 masks that fit well. Stay safe. Hopefully by February cases will be way down.

Brent H

Ultra Member
I would look at say, the first Saturday in Feb. If weather is poor It will move to the next Saturday.

Health wise, I am hoping Ontario is pretty free and clear by February. If not, protection as suggested by John.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I would look at say, the first Saturday in Feb. If weather is poor It will move to the next Saturday.

Health wise, I am hoping Ontario is pretty free and clear by February. If not, protection as suggested by John.

All the modelling suggests we will be ok by then. I do wish they didn't propose dropping so many public limitations though.

I could also try and make it work with another visit to my sisters place to improve the odds of senior management approvals, but that might add other wrinkles.

You use a belt to sharpen tools? Is that like a strop? I just use a leather wheel on the left side of my low speed grinder. But I've never been really thrilled with my tool grinding skills.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Hey folks, I asked my wife and she was cool with it:

Would any folks be interested in coming up to my place for a day in the first 2 weekends of February for a meet up, maybe some tool swapping, maybe some demonstrations, beers etc?

We could work out the details if there is interest and perhaps establish some demo’s according to interest.

We can do stuff on the Lathe, Mill, welding etc. maybe even some tool sharpening if I can get my shite together next month and put a new belt on the ol’ Cincinnati

Trying this a Poll to see how it works :cool:

As far as activities of interest go, everything mentioned works for me. I love to watch others work, I'm a fantastic superviser, and I'm not shy about asking dumb questions........

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I wanna come too. Too bad a drive across Canada in February could be so unpredictable.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
next Wed is long term planning for me so no idea about Feb, but for sure it would be fun to get together. I'd like to attended.

trlvn

Ultra Member
What about some show-an-tell? Bring a project in progress, or a favourite tool, or photos of something, etc, and talk about it a little. Point out your worst scar and explain how you got it! Endless possibilities!

@Brent H a demo of your T&C grinder would be awesome but no pressure. Just something that I know next to nothing about.

Craig

Brent H

Ultra Member
Hey Darren I am just north of Barrie - about 15 minutes between Barrie and Orillia.

@trlvn : I changed the belt today and made up the missing lock screws. Will get the VFD connected and viola - should be good to go!

Brent H

Ultra Member
Ok guys - hopefully Covid is not an issue - fingers crossed.

If you guys can put together any ideas you want to discuss, explore, tryout? Let me know.

We can go over any setups, lathe, milling - tools etc.

I am trying to get my sharpener up to snuff and that would be neat to show.

I'm not 100% certain I will be able to make it and Covid has me worried but nevertheless;

I'd be very interested in a demonstration of how a Bridgeport would be prepared for a move and also maybe how such a mill would be evaluated if purchasing.

Would love to see the sharpener!

architect

Super User
Tapatalk stopped working for this forum and I've been busy so haven't been following closely enough but I am in for this!