• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Ontario Meet and Greet May 28th at BrentH's place

trlvn

Ultra Member
Thank you @Brent H for having us! Really enjoyed the day today and it was great to see you again and to meet the rest of the gang. I didn't take the pictures so I'll leave that for others to post. (Unless my ugly mug broke all the cameras!) Please thank your lovely wife for putting up with a bunch of strangers on a beautiful early summer day--it is all to rare that such days happen on a weekend.

The pork was delicious and the little 'show-an-tell' sessions were great. Fantastic day all around!! Thanks for taking the initiative and making it all happen.

Craig
(the one from Oakville)

Brent H

Ultra Member
Some pics!!
3DC4ABF9-E5C0-4F8E-912A-BB5F7FF354BA.jpeg
914fa6be-50f0-42cb-bbec-14e872755dea-jpeg.24181
0E18D1EA-30FB-472E-A535-B6DFF8A015E3.jpeg

Attachments

• F4A42CAF-2E3A-4659-A298-048DC99076B4.jpeg
    F4A42CAF-2E3A-4659-A298-048DC99076B4.jpeg
    349.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 914FA6BE-50F0-42CB-BBEC-14E872755DEA.jpeg
    914FA6BE-50F0-42CB-BBEC-14E872755DEA.jpeg
    650.4 KB · Views: 108
My thanks to @Brent H for hosting this meetup also as well as to all the guys who came out. The weather was great, the food was great, the shop and the conversations were awesome! More than anything else I was impressed with the depth of knowledge among the members. Made me feel like a novice among a bunch of Jedi Masters!

meetup1.JPG
meetup2.JPG
meetup3.JPG

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
It was a great day. It was wonderful to meet everyone and see all the great show and tell. Brent's shop is great lots of great equipment to see along with his great hospitality. The forum is great to share ideas, but call me old fashioned but nothing beats in person conversations and discussion and explanation. There was a lathe bought and sold at the meet, and for me a few new to me items to play with and the look on the wife's face when I told her there was an old railway tie from New Brunswick in the trunk was totally worth the dirty hands taking out there. In the end we had a little discussion that us Ont guys aren't gonna let those Alberta guys have all the fun, we don't know what the future will bring but hopefully there will be future events. My thanks to Brent and everyone for making it a great day for me.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
Well done boys...would it be out of bounds to ask for a legend of who's-who in the photos for us Ab boys.

Combustible, if one NB tie cranks your miss's...come on over, if you want some I have 30 or 40 old ties from a CN spur line in Ab....you can load yer car up with as many as it will hold.

Brent H

Ultra Member
My thanks to @Brent H for hosting this meetup also as well as to all the guys who came out. The weather was great, the food was great, the shop and the conversations were awesome! More than anything else I was impressed with the depth of knowledge among the members. Made me feel like a novice among a bunch of Jedi Masters!

meetup1.JPG

meetup2.JPG

meetup3.JPG

Ok : pic 1 is from left to right : Stelios (@thestelster )
Bill (@Payner)
Craig (@CWret)
Shawn (@ShawnR )
A piece of Craig (@trlvn)
And Bill (@combustable herbage )

Pic 2

Left to right:

Stelios, Craig and Craig and some goof discussing the sharpener

Pic 3 left to right

That goof from the sharpener (@Brent H or something?) then its Bill (@combustable herbage), Craig (@CWret) Craig (@trlvn) and Shawn (@ShawnR).

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
A big Thanks to @Brent H for not only hosting this gathering, but also hosting me for a couple of days. It was a great couple of days with education, laughs, great food and libations (not in any particular order). And a big thank you to all who were able to attend. It was great to connect with you all and put faces to names. The event was well worth the flying/driving/driving/driving... ;)

We are a lucky bunch to have such a great forum and membership which facilitates these kind of events.

Cheers to all.

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Hi guys, just a quick follow-up of the barrel I showed off at our Meet and Greet. The tap I used to create the matt finish of the sighting rib was a 6 flute 1"-16tpi. Using it as a form tool, spinning at around 100rpm, and around 1ipm feed, on the milling machine, with a depth of cut around 0.008". Therefore the grooves cut are 6 flutes x 16tpi = 96 tpi.

Attachments

• 20220601_121128.jpg
    20220601_121128.jpg
    615.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 20220601_121128.jpg
    20220601_121128.jpg
    615.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 20220601_123358-01.jpeg
    20220601_123358-01.jpeg
    419.3 KB · Views: 15

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
That's really cool effect. But I'm mystified - if the tap is spinning against the work, how is it making the row of lines? I would have thought it would be like a super high helix end mill & surface would be essentially flat. I figured maybe ground off all but one row of 'teeth' behind the flute, but the tap looks intact.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
That's really cool effect. But I'm mystified - if the tap is spinning against the work, how is it making the row of lines? I would have thought it would be like a super high helix end mill & surface would be essentially flat. I figured maybe ground off all but one row of 'teeth' behind the flute, but the tap looks intact.

Each row of teeth will be offset from the previous row by the thread pitch divided by the number of flutes.

What I want to know is how he stops it from vibrating like crazy as each flute tries to climb its own cut!

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Hi Peter, the tap has not been modified. Its a little difficult for me to explain properly, but here goes. Think of making a thread on the lathe of 16tpi. So in one inch we've cut 16 threads. Now if we attach another tool post directly behind with another threading tool, and advance them at the same time, we're cutting another groove 180° to the first thread. So now in one inch we have 2x16 threads=32 threads, if you had 6 cutters starting to cut a shaft all equally placed around, then you have 6 x 16 threads=96 threads in one inch. Its the same idea as multi start threads. Did I make that more confusing?