• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Online meetup? May 9/2020 Saturday 10AM?

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
hmm. nobody else seems available to do a demo. If we had the session a week later on May 16 or 17 can someone step up? Alexander suggests having two demos on different days. Me on May 9 and Alex on May 16. What do people think of that. Also another person would be great to have step up. It does not have to be super fancy or anything - just show us something you've learned on whatever equipment you've got. milling, shaping, welding, turning, painting, reaming drilling printing manual cnc whatever we'll all love it.
I have 4 videos am just uploading to YouTube now John. You can use as you see fit.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Ok so the plan is for Saturday May 10 at 10AM. In order to join the video meeting you have to go get yourself a discord account, login to it, and make sure it works. Do this in advance. This is at https://discord.com Please use the same name as your handle on the forum so we have some idea who is joining.

GUYS. I'm NOT your technical support dude. If you can't understand how to make this work please grab the relevant person in your life for help. Some basic hints though are you will need a more modern browser like Chrome or Firefox or Safari. I expect internet explorer won't work. On the morning of I will post a link so you can join the hobby community forum discussion.

The agenda is going to be:
John - intro and general discussion.
John - some CAD CAM CNC drilling - live
@CalgaryPT - Peter - canned videos of his RC Lawn Mower.
@kevin.decelles Kevin Descelles - Shop Tour - live.
@RobinHood - Rudy - shop tour - live I think.
General yakking.

I'm not posting this on a banner or anything - this is our first go at this - it could be a train wreck. Enthusiasts and bleeding edge adopters only. We've done some testing - it seems ok - but nothing like a live event to see what can go wrong. :)

Last edited:

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Oh and I forgot to mention @Alexander is going to a demo May 16 Saturday 10AM as a follow on assuming this goes well and people want more. @Tom Kitta If you want to present something about the band saw at the later session please do. Maybe some general discussion by you and then pointing the group at the intro video if you have one.

Hruul

Lee - metalworking novice
I assume an invite to the meeting will be posted here the morning of the 9th? I have a discord account, but I don't have a mic or camera. I would like to listen along and watch the videos though.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Eleven Participants!

John A.
John Wa.
John C.
John N.
Rudy
Kevin D.
Craig
JohnnyTK
Craig
Jeff H.
Josh W.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
That was quite successful. We will do it again. I hope for some other volunteers to see some demo of whatever you would like to show. Equipment, shops, projects, some machining etc. Thank you!

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
That worked really well:)

I had to kill my video and mic as things got too choppy with it turned on. Laptop was having serious performance issues.

Didn't help that windows was trying to perform an update in the back ground. Discovered that when I went to shut the machine down.

Craig

Last edited:

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Anyone else getting a discord "Claim Account" prompt that rejects your claim stating your email address is already registered?

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
That was quite successful. We will do it again. I hope for some other volunteers to see some demo of whatever you would like to show. Equipment, shops, projects, some machining etc. Thank you!
Just got back and checked the forum to see how it went. Looks like a really successful virtual meetup guys. Congrats. Thanks John A. for organizing and John C. for helping with software choice.

Nice work all.

jbhorton

That was great, thanks a lot. I'm not in Calgary anymore, now out in Coquitlam BC, and really enjoy the forum and that you tried sharing this way.

Hruul

Lee - metalworking novice
I am glad to hear it went really well. I was going to listen in and got busy doing yard work, and it slipped my mind till the afternoon. Hope there will be more, is there still one for next weekend planned?

graig

Firstly I discovered several Zoom security issues when installing for a friend, on their computer, including finding thousands of private email addresses of home owners under Telus.com. I informed Zoom of these issues, and they did nothing, not even acknowledged with a case number.

So I did more research, and Bruce Schneier (one of the world's foremost security experts) wrote an article on Zoom's problems. It can be accessed here.

Sorry to be a downer. I use Discord - up to 50 people can share a video chat. and it's free. It doesn't seem to have the security concerns of Zoom, but I left that industry 5 years ago so I'm no expert.
That's interesting and not good! Thanks for the info. What was the operating system (linux, Windows, Mac) and where did you find them? I want to check our computers.