• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Old Villiers engine.

terry_g

Ultra Member
I inherited this engine from my grandfather. I haven't started it in a while but it runs great. There is a weight in the cam that operates the ignition points. When max RPM is reached the weight stops the points from closing shutting off the spark. It is a hit and miss engine.

2.jpg 1.jpg
3.jpg

4.jpg

The Carburettor uses spring loaded discs to create a vacuum not a venturi.
5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
That is so cool! What's the approximate diameter of the flywheel? Nothing to gauge size with.

I wish someone made the casting available as a kit. Looks like it would be a great project

trlvn

Ultra Member
The flywheel is 12" in diameter.
What was the engine originally used for? Is there any indication of horsepower?

Very cool. I've seen a few hit and miss engines come up for auction recently but nothing that looked like that!

Craig

terry_g

Ultra Member
I have no idea what he used it for. He was a trapper in northern Manitoba.
It probably had a few uses.
I would guess the power output at less than one HP.

GVBoK

My Dad used to have a motorized-bicycle with a Villiers motor on it. Not sure if it was stock, a kit, or something he cobbled together.