• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Other Oil fitting question

kstrauss

A friend is refurbishing a 1950 vintage shaper made in Czechoslovakia that has oil fittings like the one in the photo. The slightly knurled cap has a screwdriver slot and rotates to allow adding oil and then closes to protect from swarf. Any idea what these are called or a source for more (he is missing two)? Otherwise, I've been volunteered to make some for him...

Attachments

• IMG_1550 (002).jpg
    IMG_1550 (002).jpg
    466.7 KB · Views: 16

trlvn

Ultra Member
I haven't seen that style before. "Gits" oilers are pretty much the standard in North America. Perhaps your friend could use something like the following?
328-1-620x620.jpg

They are available with metric threads, as well. McMaster Carr in the US carries them...if you can convince them to make the sale.

Craig

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
Nice find on those. I've got several old machines with them, NA and British, and they do seem a lot nicer than the spring cups, although the one shown in the amazon photo looks down right crude. Maybe its just because is a small part magnified so much. I think the brass would look better than the rough chrome though. However for $30 US each, time to set up a turret machine! :D

Some call them "Winkley pattern" and there are other cheaper sources...but looks like old British threads so might not help.

Last edited:

historicalarms

Ultra Member
I knew the fellow who's grandfather invented the common grease nipple ( he was German and it is called a "Zirk" over there)....he dont need that 70 mil Max ticket...family is still billionaires from that little spring loaded ball.