• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Non smoking coolant

Blouin55

Michel
I always had to use oil coolant on my lathe and mill...but i would like to find a non smoking coolant to work with. I dont have any coolant system...i'll look to use bottles type.
You guys, how do you do?

historicalarms

Ultra Member
LOL...you query brought back a memory I had of "trying to cut costs" a few years ago.
We used a soft waxy industrial substance to lube pipe joint rubber rings in the water & sewer installation business...so, after running out of water soluble lube at home I brought a tube of the rubber lube stuff home to "giv'er a try". I have to say , as a cutting lube it worked wonderfully....but man-o-man the smoke that rolled off that cutter would choke a horse....I['ve still got the rest of that tub around someplace if you want some lube LOL.

Blouin55

Michel
LOL...you query brought back a memory I had of "trying to cut costs" a few years ago.
We used a soft waxy industrial substance to lube pipe joint rubber rings in the water & sewer installation business...so, after running out of water soluble lube at home I brought a tube of the rubber lube stuff home to "giv'er a try". I have to say , as a cutting lube it worked wonderfully....but man-o-man the smoke that rolled off that cutter would choke a horse....I['ve still got the rest of that tub around someplace if you want some lube LOL.
Your offer is interesting but i think i will pass my turn LOL

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Why not just run a water based coolant, Its usually just steam if anything, Lenox band aide is ok, usually pretty easy to get

At least that my experience using it with the mag drill/annular cutters, I haven't tried it with the lathe or mill but I would expect similar results

A squirt bottle or my go to of a dr pepper bottle with a hole poked in the top works pretty well to apply without a coolant system

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Anchorlube smokes very little. For HSS drills in tool steels I use 70% Isopropyl alcohol with 1 part in 50 of solulable oil. The alcohol works as a better coolant. the oil helps lubricate. I find that it smokes a lot less than my sulfated lube.

You may be cutting too aggressively if you are creating a lot of smoke (possibly?) ;)

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
I’ve been thinking of using garlic olive oil… (If I need to use cutting oil).

Though I really am trying to use no cutting oil because my workshop is in the basement. I’d rather cut dry than get complaints about smoke. And I’m not sure I want the hassle of using a coolant pump… Perhaps once I install an exhaust fan I’ll be more willing to experiment with cutting oils.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
The only PA gallon I bought works as well as my Shell cutting lubricant. Possibly quality control problems in more recent times? 'Bad reviewers' ?? I don't know.

What I was sayign is that this replaces sulfated cutting oil (which I also use), because sulfated oil smells *terrible*.