Non smoking coolant

Blouin55

Michel
I always had to use oil coolant on my lathe and mill...but i would like to find a non smoking coolant to work with. I dont have any coolant system...i'll look to use bottles type.
You guys, how do you do?

historicalarms

Ultra Member
LOL...you query brought back a memory I had of "trying to cut costs" a few years ago.
We used a soft waxy industrial substance to lube pipe joint rubber rings in the water & sewer installation business...so, after running out of water soluble lube at home I brought a tube of the rubber lube stuff home to "giv'er a try". I have to say , as a cutting lube it worked wonderfully....but man-o-man the smoke that rolled off that cutter would choke a horse....I['ve still got the rest of that tub around someplace if you want some lube LOL.

Blouin55

Michel
LOL...you query brought back a memory I had of "trying to cut costs" a few years ago.
We used a soft waxy industrial substance to lube pipe joint rubber rings in the water & sewer installation business...so, after running out of water soluble lube at home I brought a tube of the rubber lube stuff home to "giv'er a try". I have to say , as a cutting lube it worked wonderfully....but man-o-man the smoke that rolled off that cutter would choke a horse....I['ve still got the rest of that tub around someplace if you want some lube LOL.
Your offer is interesting but i think i will pass my turn LOL

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Why not just run a water based coolant, Its usually just steam if anything, Lenox band aide is ok, usually pretty easy to get

At least that my experience using it with the mag drill/annular cutters, I haven't tried it with the lathe or mill but I would expect similar results

A squirt bottle or my go to of a dr pepper bottle with a hole poked in the top works pretty well to apply without a coolant system

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Anchorlube smokes very little. For HSS drills in tool steels I use 70% Isopropyl alcohol with 1 part in 50 of solulable oil. The alcohol works as a better coolant. the oil helps lubricate. I find that it smokes a lot less than my sulfated lube.

You may be cutting too aggressively if you are creating a lot of smoke (possibly?) ;)

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
I’ve been thinking of using garlic olive oil… (If I need to use cutting oil).

Though I really am trying to use no cutting oil because my workshop is in the basement. I’d rather cut dry than get complaints about smoke. And I’m not sure I want the hassle of using a coolant pump… Perhaps once I install an exhaust fan I’ll be more willing to experiment with cutting oils.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
The only PA gallon I bought works as well as my Shell cutting lubricant. Possibly quality control problems in more recent times? 'Bad reviewers' ?? I don't know.

What I was sayign is that this replaces sulfated cutting oil (which I also use), because sulfated oil smells *terrible*.