• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

No tailstock Standard Modern in ON

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Another one with out a tailstock, I guess for some people a tailstock is a consumable item like a file or a piece of sandpaper.

Brent H

Ultra Member
This is the same lathe as we discussed months ago:

https://canadianhobbymetalworkers.com/threads/great-deal-on-a-standard-modern-1334.2856/

Soon after it was bought there was an add in Kijiji looking for a tailstock - LOL

Buddy trying to upsell. @Canadium : Standard Modern parts can be stupid expensive - like beyond reality. A gear can run $300 to $800 or more. I would think the guy bought that lathe for $1500 and then realized that a new tailstock was $2000.......

If you want to build a new tailstock - offer the guy $1000

This is the same lathe as we discussed months ago:

https://canadianhobbymetalworkers.com/threads/great-deal-on-a-standard-modern-1334.2856/

Soon after it was bought there was an add in Kijiji looking for a tailstock - LOL

Buddy trying to upsell. @Canadium : Standard Modern parts can be stupid expensive - like beyond reality. A gear can run $300 to $800 or more. I would think the guy bought that lathe for $1500 and then realized that a new tailstock was $2000.......

If you want to build a new tailstock - offer the guy $1000

Thanks Brent for the redirect! Read the whole other thread. Very interesting!

gerritv

Gerrit
Follow the advice of Stefan Gotteswinter and Robin Renzetti: replace the compound with a block of steel, add an absolute scale to the cross slide and make a holder for drill chuck etc for your QCTP. Neither of them use a tailstock.
Offer this guy $1100 for his lathe, since you know what he paid.

Follow the advice of Stefan Gotteswinter and Robin Renzetti: replace the compound with a block of steel, add an absolute scale to the cross slide and make a holder for drill chuck etc for your QCTP. Neither of them use a tailstock.
Offer this guy $1100 for his lathe, since you know what he paid.

What an interesting idea! I assume the guys you mention are on Youtube?

Crankit

Robin and Stefan are high precision machinists but they normally work with small diameters and short lengths