Nice looking used Standard Modern 1340 clone at Modern Tools Edmonton

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
How was the quality Tom?

Some parts were from UK like the bearings - other stuff was a bit "lets save some $$$" - I think this was some kind of an attempt to build UK machines to a price point.

Do not expect UK / German / Czech quality.

If I had to say, quality was comparable to many Chinese machines.

Note this is based on single machine I owned - maybe other models are better - while some others may be worse.

Gently used lathe of this manufacture can be a good deal - at least based on one I owned these machines are not useless junk but actual working lathes capable of good work.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
Some parts were from UK like the bearings

I have this mental image of some Indian dude squatting in the dirt in front of a headstock and pounding those British bearings in with a rock. Maybe that is unfair, but the odd thing I've had from there I remember as being horrible. I admire their ingenuity, but they've a lot of low quality stigma to overcome before I'd want one.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I have this mental image of some Indian dude squatting in the dirt in front of a headstock and pounding those British bearings in with a rock. Maybe that is unfair, but the odd thing I've had from there I remember as being horrible. I admire their ingenuity, but they've a lot of low quality stigma to overcome before I'd want one.

Yes, a lot of their "tools" are of very poor quality - like China from 1960s or something. The lathe that I had was not that bad - other stuff from them is way, way worse - and I mean stuff made this year.

If you watch some videos on youtube from Pakistan - this is how a lot of stuff is made in India as well. Their "workshop" is a drill press that begs to be killed off, and few grinders + a hammer (I seen this in both India and Pakistan with my own eyes).

Their biggest problem is luck of training and doing things "by eye" a lot - i.e. not measuring stuff - you see say Indian made dials for say cross slide vise - they are ... just terrible. Also general luck of paying attention to detail - it feels that electrical codes in both India and Pakistan are a suggestion - they bring that mentality all over the place.

Finally they have a lot of pride. This also prevents them from advancing - they are way too proud - even through we point out the stuff is crap, they try to say, no its great - best in the world ;)

Or like Simpsons said it "India is a China of China" ;)