• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

New User from Edmonton.ab.ca

C. Clayton

Hello,

I'm Colin. Not a hobbyist machinist yet, but am very interested in it. Wondering if it would make a good hobby for me. I have been scouring YouTube watching machining videos from users Frank Hoose and Clickspring.
I am primarily interested in small scale machining. I have no tools, yet but hopefully can set up a shop when I move in the near future.
Because of those YouTube videos I have an interest in SEIG hardware and Sherline as a starting point. It seems that Seig makes the majority of lathes for a lot of retailers.
I will probably be reading the threads regarding what tools you members have.

Thanks!

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Hey good stuff and welcome to the forum. Check out the links section too - more videos and info on machining.

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Welcome! For sure, many of us have made public our setups!

Looking forward to helping you get started.

JW

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Check out auction in Edmonton this week - on the Sep 15th. They have a small RF31 Mill drill. Should go cheap and get you started.

maauctions.com

John Conroy

Premium Member
Hey Colin I live in St Albert. If you want to try out a lathe or mill be for you buy you are welcome.to try out mine

C. Clayton

Hey Colin I live in St Albert. If you want to try out a lathe or mill be for you buy you are welcome.to try out mine

That is an awesome offer. I would like to check out your shop to see what kinds of tools one should have at a minimum to start.
Did you post any shop pics to the forum? I will scout and see after I finish this reply.

Again.. Thanks!

Colin

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
That is an awesome offer. I would like to check out your shop to see what kinds of tools one should have at a minimum to start.
Did you post any shop pics to the forum? I will scout and see after I finish this reply.

Again.. Thanks!

Colin
Colin - if you are researching SEIG stuff you probably already know this, but there is a great virtual tour of their factory here.

Welcome aboard.

Last edited: