• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

New Toy - Rahn Repeat - O - Meter

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
There's an easy way to 'approximate' an evaluation of a BB surface plate. You use a scratch or height gauge base with a tenths indicator, using a gauge block to average out the bumpy surface. My first BB surface plate was well withing 1/10, and the second is untested. My Mitutoyo is not yet tested (horrors)...

TOBARApprentice

Super User
I did some more preliminary measuring of the surface plates. The Repeat-O-Meter (fortunately) came with the instructions. I will post them as they talk about calibration and ironically speak to using a surface gage, gage blocks and a test indicator instead of needing the instrument. My 24 x 36 Starrett granite was generally -.00008 to + .0001. There is one spot that was + .0003 (weird). The other Starrett granite 12 x 18 was -.00012 to + .00024. SO...... have to go to Miami tomorrow for 737 Max training, but when I get home Saturday I am going to get going on scraping flat the 13 x 15 Taft Pierce Cast plate to make the lap I need to redo the 2 granite plates...... I’ll start a new thread Monday and get going with some pics and progress. Rabbit hole...... here I come.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Proxule

Ultra Member
Lucky guy, Wish I had that sort of expendable income. But I guess this hobby is as expensive as you want to make it.
Fly safe and keep those pratt and witney motors happy

trlvn

Ultra Member
My 24 x 36 Starrett granite was generally -.00008 to + .0001. There is one spot that was + .0003 (weird).
I'm far (FAR) from knowledgable but aren't you into the realm where minor thermal differences could affect your readings? Maybe from your hand resting on a spot? Or maybe radiant heat from an incandescent bulb?

Also, I recall watching a video about 3-point support for granite surface plates [1]. As it happens, he was setting up a 24X36X6 granite.

What spec are you aiming for? AA?

[1]

Craig

TOBARApprentice

Super User
Shooting for A on my large granite and if possible I am going to shoot for AA on the small granite. We’ll see. I looked up what this thing new costs.... for the Repeat-O-Meter, the storage case and the Supremess indicator is $4000 CAD. I paid nowhere near..... it was genuinely garage sale priced.....

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Is your ultimate goal restoring or re-tuning machines, or you are just keen on metrology in general? Not judging, just wondering LOL.

TOBARApprentice

Super User
I genuinely want to learn this part of the trade. I think I would like to eventually be able to make a few bucks re re-certifying and resurfacing plates, but from a hobby standpoint. If I can get good enough, and get some experience then maybe 5 - 10 years down the line I might be able to make a go of it. I got out the autocollimator the other day and made some preliminary measurements..... lots to learn!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk