New to me ZX45 milling machine

As mentioned in a previous thread I recently got a new to me ZX45 milling machine and with it comes a few questions. I had to disassemble it to move it and noticed the lead screws and nuts are packed with a nasty looking grease. After I clean it all up when I put it together what should I lube the feed screws with? Do I use a grease again (if so what kind) or do I use way oil or some other type of oil all together? If I use oil how do I make sure it stays lubricated since there are no oil buttons for the lead screws like there is for the ways?

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Definitely not grease as you can see what happens to it over time.
Not sure if I was right in doing this but I used way oil on the lead screws of my mill.

Definitely not grease as you can see what happens to it over time.
Not sure if I was right in doing this but I used way oil on the lead screws of my mill.
Do you try to spray some onto the screw every time you use it? I imagine with the way covers screwed on this would be a real pain for the Y axis screw.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Do you try to spray some onto the screw every time you use it? I imagine with the way covers screwed on this would be a real pain for the Y axis screw.

How did you get oil on the lead screws?
I had sliding covers on the Y axis that I could move out of the way to reach the Y screw.
The X I could reach from under the table when I cranked it all the way to one side or the other.

I had sliding covers on the Y axis that I could move out of the way to reach the Y screw.
The X I could reach from under the table when I cranked it all the way to one side or the other.
Thanks I appreciate the advice. I know I am going to have a lot more questions as I get it put back together.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
If it is apart, you might consider making a counterbored hold in your table to directly lubricate your X axis nut. It is the most used and fastest wear point on the whole machine.
Excellent advice!

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
I bought something similar to one of these many years ago and have yet to install it. They now run as low as $15 from AliExpress.
1680499751592.png

I looked at the lube channels when I had mine apart and although it's easy enough to attach hoses to the points where you insert your pump can oiler it looks to me like the lead screw nut is lubricated by the oil dribbling down after leaving the ways. That implies way oil for everything.

Here's a photo of the ways without the X axis on top. Notice that at the mid point the slot opens up into the middle. I haven't figured out a way to couple that through a tube to dribble on top of the lead screw so for now I just reach under with an oil can and squirt oil along the lead screw and then wind the table back in other direction.
1680500163779.png
For the pump oiler the plan was just to run tubes to the ball oiler connections on both sides and both ends. And run another tube suspended over the lead screw so it would dribble oil onto the screw. In the photo you can see the sliding plates that prevent metal getting onto the Y axis which also has oiler spring ball fittings. Same process. I move the metal slider and squirt oil onto the screw.

I spend a lot of time after I've oiled wiping oil off the sides of the knee assembly where it dribbles out.

Don't know how many people in this group have the pump oiler.

If it is apart, you might consider making a counterbored hold in your table to directly lubricate your X axis nut. It is the most used and fastest wear point on the whole machine.
I'm not sure I fully understand what you mean. Are you saying drill a hole in the table centred over the X axis screw so the top of the screw can be oiled? I assume you would then install one of those ball oiler to keep swarf off of the screw? Is this much different than squirting oil onto the screw it self where the table overhangs?

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Are you saying drill a hole in the table centred over the X axis screw so the top of the screw can be oiled?
Yes, that is how the Bridgeports with non-central lube are set up: the table has an alignment mark with the saddle. Align the two. Clean out the center T-slot and remove a set screw. Oil the lead screw nut through hole in the table . Install set screw. Done.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Is this much different than squirting oil onto the screw it self where the table overhangs?

Yes. The lead screw nuts themselves have oil passages on the Bridgeport mills. This has a tendency to flush out any debris from within. Oiling the lead screw has a tendency to “drag” the dirt into the nut.

It’s the same with way oiling systems: if the clean oil is applied from oil passages within the moving parts, debris which is stuck in/under the way wipers is forced out and can be wiped off the ways.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
are packed with a nasty looking grease.
Not sure if 'new to me' means 'brand new' but its common for machines to come with a waxy preservative goop sprayed on everything. This is not lubrication grease. Its the Asian equivalent of Cosmoline, intended to prevent rust during storage & transport. Get it all off. Something like a plastic scraper works OK but it may need a solvent reducer. Experiment because some solvents may thin the mung but might also soften the paint which can be of variable quality unfortunately. Also check that your oil galleries don't have any or it just acts as a plug.

Does your manual say about lubricating the leadscrew nut? My old 45 did not have a one shot oiler but I recall being able to get oil on the leadscrew within a couple inches of the nut by extending the table to one side & just traverse the table so it became oily. I never considered drilling a hole. If you go with a pump you can position lines & outlets at strategic positions. The PM might give you some ideas

Not sure if 'new to me' means 'brand new' but its common for machines to come with a waxy preservative goop sprayed on everything. This is not lubrication grease. Its the Asian equivalent of Cosmoline, intended to prevent rust during storage & transport. Get it all off. Something like a plastic scraper works OK but it may need a solvent reducer. Experiment because some solvents may thin the mung but might also soften the paint which can be of variable quality unfortunately. Also check that your oil galleries don't have any or it just acts as a plug.

Does your manual say about lubricating the leadscrew nut? My old 45 did not have a one shot oiler but I recall being able to get oil on the leadscrew within a couple inches of the nut by extending the table to one side & just traverse the table so it became oily. I never considered drilling a hole. If you go with a pump you can position lines & outlets at strategic positions. The PM might give you some ideas
Thanks for the link that is way more detailed than the instructions that came with it. It is a used machine though all the ways look new. The date code is 06 07 so it's pretty old but looks like its only been used a hand full of times or was very very well taken care of.