• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

New to me 4” x 36” belt sander

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
5BE25715-684F-4830-9664-AC3ECA0D58C4.jpeg
Picked that up yesterday off Kijiji. 7 or 8 belts and owners manual for a 4” x 36” King belt sander.

$100, I thought it was a fair price.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I have a similar sander - it has a bolt to tighten and lock it vertical which is how I use it.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
mine does not either but when it's vertical the weight of the motor and casting holds it in place. The hydraulic down feed also keeps it from moving. I have to open the valve lots to put the arm back down and pull pretty hard - so hard I have to put my foot in front of the wheel to keep the whole machine from rolling.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Something nice I learned about King Canada is that they are the only offshore manufacturer that has replacement parts for everything they make in Canada. The warehouse is in Quebec. I called them when I was researching my 7x12 swivel bandsaw a few years back. They were very nice to deal with.

Chicken lights

087C6D4F-0C9B-42F2-B6B3-A94B0A3D086F.jpeg
First job is to make these two stainless brackets the same length/width. Length more important than width, then I need to drill a couple holes.

I think all the belts are 50 grit. That seems pretty coarse, what do you guys recommend for belt grits?

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I’d use the grinder and then the sander. I tend to have finer grit typically. One of those giant erasers cleans out the grit and makes the belt clean too.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
I use 50 grit disks on my disc sander. 60's on my belt sander.

I go years now without using my grinder.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Why didn't you buy mine? I listed it for 100 and was willing to sell for 90. So far after 10 offers no one gave me my 90.

Granted no extra belts - mine still has original belt - you can see how much it was used.

trlvn

Ultra Member
Why didn't you buy mine? I listed it for 100 and was willing to sell for 90. So far after 10 offers no one gave me my 90.

Granted no extra belts - mine still has original belt - you can see how much it was used.
I don't think the $10 savings was going to offset the 64 hour roundtrip drive! ;)

Craig
@Chicken lights is in Kitchener, ON.

Chicken lights

7C2F9695-E3D8-4272-BA79-66BB00781BB3.jpeg 2A0731AC-ABE2-4A55-B2D9-40800BC070DA.jpeg
I picked this up off kijiji for $40. Probably could’ve paid $25 or $30 but it (in my eyes) was still a deal at $40.

41” tall, as it sits. 36” x 16” top.

Ideally I want to have bench grinder, belt sander, drill press and a vise all together as a “station” so to speak. All in one wall section, not necessarily all as part of the same base unit

I’m not crazy how the legs stick out. They could get cut off, the casters moved, it could get bolted to the floor, I’ve got options.

I’d prefer to leave it on casters for now, we’ll see what we come up with. The angle brackets were “welded” to the top....pair of pliers snapped them all off easily

Dr.Fiero

Be (very) wary of the bearings used in it. Especially the top roller. They're all made of fine chinesium.
I used to run the service center at KMS tools, and we were a King (amongst others) warranty depot.
Saw....many.... of those roll through.

Far easier and cheaper (due to collateral damage) to replace them before they're totally dead!

historicalarms

Ultra Member
I would re-think that leg shortening on the table if it were me, it will add stability and resist tip-over when pushing a bit on the work piece you are to be grinding. I've seen a # of grinding pedestals attached to a small base and then another piece had to be welded on for the operator to stand on so the grinder wouldn't tip away when being used.

Another suggestion if you plan on using this sander for wood & metal de-burring ... place it where it can be vacuum cleaned easily. Our local volunteer fire dept. has had to attend 3 shop fires in the past 5 years from wood dust igniting from metal sparks ( 2 of them at the same shop, the old guy didn't much learn from the first time!!!).

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I don't think the problem is so much the actual bearing but the fact that the bearings may not be well protected against wood/ grinding dust particle ingestion and thus die quickly. If you want to get EU bearings these are cheap - actually cheaper then princess auto stuff @ eBay. I think the seller name is something similar to Bohemian Seal - they ship fast and it comes from Chechia aka Czech Republic. You can get actual Czechia made bearings which are about the same quality as Germany.