• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

New thread 3D Printing

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
I bought a chinese kit about 5 years ago..... paid 250. Learned tons. Reliability/quality ultimately drove me to buy a Creality Ender Pro 3 back in June (~320). Assembled in about 20 minutes, printed out of the box with better quality than the kit. @Janger has a brand name Prusa which also just works..... there is something to be said for that.

I don't regret the time I put into the kit printer -- I learned a lot about firmware, g-code, tuning, temperature, movement etc. Good primer for my project CNC work. But now when I want a 34 tooth HTD pulley to drive my mill, I just bloody want it to print. Same for making mold-blanks for sand casting......

I bought mine from spool3d in Calgary. Really quick shipping and delivery via Canada Post.

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
I am considering an ender 3 V2. My current wanhao i3 was cheap but I think it is time for an upgrade.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I've been looking at the Ender 3 V2 as well. seems like a good deal for what you et. Although a COREXY printer would be preferable, they're too expensive...

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
@Janger how many hours are on you're Mk3 now? Have you made any repairs or done any calibration on it?

I had some power supply problems when it was new but since then it's been solid workhorse. I've printed quite a few things and generally I slice, clean the bed with a towel and alcohol and hit print. That's it. Hours I"m not sure but probably gone through 12 spools of filament. No repairs. I did replace a fan but it wasn't defective. I have run the factory Z height calibration once or twice after a bad crash. I was working on a 3D printing safety talk for work so I have a picture - here is a bunch of stuff I've printed. It was pretty expensive at $800USD.

Attachments

• Untitled 2.jpg
    Untitled 2.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 12

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
We briefly interrupt this practical, hobbyist discussion of 3D printing with a fantasy glimpse of what could be some fun toys if the Lotto numbers align.

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
The Faro arm makes me cringe. I have tried using them many times, the measurements vary depending on who's using it. Not a practical tool for the oil and gas manufacturing sector. It looks cool but I think you need to use it every day to master it.

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
This is what my assembled RC car wheel looks like. I do plan on testing it to destruction on my buggy. Ultimately I think I need to machine a stronger rim on my syil Ex250 lathe. This 3d model came from thingiverse. The model is amazing. I just wish my printer did a better job of reproducing it.

Attachments

• 20201213_104900.jpg
    20201213_104900.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 9

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Just had a facebook memories reminder that 8 years ago I posted this photo. Sitting on the dining room table printing out a bracket to hold two used computer cpu fans to put over the controller boards since it was said that they failed from overheating. Eight years later this printer is still in use.
1707934767263.png