• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Shop New shop door needed

Shop

a smile

Lifelong hobby - cold iron
Premium Member
Well this morning one of the two springs on my 12'x10' shop door let go. Now it requires two people to open it. This door is 40 years old and heavy as hell. Called local HH to price out a new one, this will be an expense i hadn't planned on. Back before xmas i talked to a local contractor about a remote opener for this door and he said no go. This style of door with the springs over head on the ceiling isn't used anymore. I can't find the book for the door so no idea of make or model either.
If you are sure that the spring is only loose, please find two suitable iron bars inserted into the red ring hole of the University of Science and Technology, turn in turn, so that the spring has a pre-tightening force again, loosen the screw before adding force, and lock the screw after adding force. You should also check to see if the wire cables on either side of the door have come off.

My 5 garage doors have the same structure as it, I removed all of them and replaced them with rolling doors, because you can get more top space, and more beautiful! 20230215_101531.jpg

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
If you are sure that the spring is only loose,
One spring is broken. Local contractor is really slow at giving me a price on new door and installation, the company that makes new doors says they need 13-14 inches of room above the door, we have 9 inches. Looking at fixing my old door, or getting a local guy to fix it. I have no desire or strength to screw around on step ladders doing the work myself.
Things are at a stand still right now as we ae up to our hips in baby calves in this current cold snap. o_O 4 today so far, looks like the corks blew out and the girls getting busy.

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Well it took all summer to happen but i have a new shop door. :):) I am so damn happy that it finally got installed and goes up and down with the push of a button, going to be so nice this winter not having to get out of the tractor to screw around with that heavy old door. Any body need a lightly used 40 year old shop door?

historicalarms

Ultra Member
I went thru the same thing a couple years ago. Our big shop door didnt handle haveing the old man back a combine into it when it was 1/2 up. It was such a chore to raise or lower with the chain hoist that we just left it up for years...but then a flock of pigions moved into the shop & just made a mess everywhere. i finally cut the old door down and replaced with a smaller home made split sliding door...no more pigion $hit !!

Have to be careful with the rods on those prings
If it’s that style of spring, you can easily replace it yourself. It’s been a couple years since I’ve done one, but basically you pre-load the spring, to give you the spring assist to open it. Couple of steel rods and some vice grips is what memory says I used, maybe a wrench for the locking bolts
You have to be careful, very easy to injure yourself severely if the rods get away from you.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
You have to be careful, very easy to injure yourself severely if the rods get away from you.

I've done it the way @Chicken lights described for regular car sized garage doors. Sometimes they need re-adjusting and sometimes the cable comes out of the wrap grooves.

But, I let a door company do my shop doors. The springs are 4x the size and length. The adjustment bars are 1" x 36". I'd like to make it to 90.

I know a guy who had that spring get away from him on a regular garage door and literally sew itself through his arm. I can't begin to imagine how he did that, but it's a huge red flag and a testament to the importance of your cautionary warning.