• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

New Section

Status
Not open for further replies.

deleted_user

Super User
What do you think the problem would be? Like him or not, the guy is a wealth of knowledge. He just isn't a snowflake.
hje is a misogynist and I am sorry to see that people defend him, and that others like when people defend him... and imply those who object to his content are snowflakes.

back behind the block for you

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Please provide proof of your claim that he is a misogynist.

If his content triggers you, thankfully you can decide not to watch what he produces.

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
@Janger, I NEVER cruise the sections. I ONLY use What's New and Alerts to threads I follow (which doesn't always work).
I too follow daily (hourly even) and only use the What's New.
We have to agree to disagree on this point. I don't want any adds. I feel so strongly about it that I'd pay not to have them.
Agree -- I would pay another $5/month for no ads.

Six O Two

(Marco)
Personally, I’d be a little worried if @CalgaryPT DID find any of us attractive. :D

I think men joke with each other way more than women do, you learned to grow a thick skin at a young age. EVERYone picks on the young kids on job sites or the barn yard. You also learned to keep an eye on your dinner pail

Hypothetically speaking, why would a man finding you attractive make you worried?

Men are socialized at a young age to joke and be mean to one another, and it happens in many facets of our society. I spent years working as a bike mechanic, I know how to play ball and even enjoy the game from time to time. But what would it be like if it wasn't so? What if we taught our boys to be kind to each other, even in play and jokes? Wouldn't it be nice not to have to worry about someone messing with your lunchbox?

If you're confused about gender, try raising a kid who doesn't want to identify with either gender because already at a very young age, they see how crappy it is to be pigeonholed in either box, and already want no part of it.

Anyways, a question was asked about how we might attract more females to the forum. My gut sense is that forums in general already attract a pretty small sliver of the female population, and that's compounded by the obvious small number of hobby or trade women machinists. I like this forum, and it's small shop feel, just like hanging it out with a bunch of good dudes. But if the goal is to retain and broaden the appeal to female participants, I suspect there's a shift that would need to happen.

deleted_user

Super User
Hypothetically speaking, why would a man finding you attractive make you worried?

Men are socialized at a young age to joke and be mean to one another, and it happens in many facets of our society. I spent years working as a bike mechanic, I know how to play ball and even enjoy the game from time to time. But what would it be like if it wasn't so? What if we taught our boys to be kind to each other, even in play and jokes? Wouldn't it be nice not to have to worry about someone messing with your lunchbox?

If you're confused about gender, try raising a kid who doesn't want to identify with either gender because already at a very young age, they see how crappy it is to be pigeonholed in either box, and already want no part of it.

Anyways, a question was asked about how we might attract more females to the forum. My gut sense is that forums in general already attract a pretty small sliver of the female population, and that's compounded by the obvious small number of hobby or trade women machinists. I like this forum, and it's small shop feel, just like hanging it out with a bunch of good dudes. But if the goal is to retain and broaden the appeal to female participants, I suspect there's a shift that would need to happen.
homophobia sure wont attract women to the forums any better than some of the misogyny I've seen will displayed from time to time

Tom O

Ultra Member
I don’t have any problems with working with women if they are capable of the daily requirements mind you I come from a job pretty much male dominated at least on the printing side. (Think back to Newspapers)

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
I know a few female machinists, and they seemed to be headed towards curmudgeon just as steadily as their male counterparts.

No ads please. I willingly pay for content I use. Wikipedia gets my money, CHM will get more money as needed, I pay for Netflix and Apple and many other entities because they provide something I feel has value.

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
Another thought - what are the chances on approaching Busy Bee, Grizzly, KBC, Metal Supermarket, etc to support the site? They’d need to have thick skins because they will get trashed every once in a while, but they will also get direct access to a group of people who buy products they sell.

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
The number of sub-sections and forums is an ongoing discussion.

Can the ADMIN delete posts based on the DATE ?
Post that are ‘more than a year old‘ are useless because of component values, vendor changes and equipment updates.

I know it is helpful to see how someone fixed a problem, but, if you can no longer get the parts or they are 4x the price, the information is useless.

Over many forums, I have gained much from posts that are older. Perhaps you are picturing product specific or something but I think that information provided in a post ie how to do something on a machine, will remain pertinent for years, or, at least, cause one to dig further.Yes, it is frustrating to hit a link to find it causes a 404 error, but at least I can usually decipher that there is something there I might want and can find it on my own.

I would hate to see a forum based on only the latest posts. Kinda like telling the old guys they aren't relative relevant (Thanks @Susquatch ;)) anymore.

Just my initial thoughts.

Last edited:

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Jezz, I feel a bit like my white fur got parted by a bullet. Sure glad you said relative instead of relevant...... ;)
lmao...and I usually try to post error free....oh well, can't win them all....:D

Blame it on Wordle....too many letters and words in my head and most only up to 5 letters. After that, well, not quite useless, but lets say "less effective"

You are not going to tell me I mean "affective", are you?

lol
Cheers,

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
lmao...and I usually try to post error free....oh well, can't win them all....:D

Blame it on Wordle....too many letters and words in my head and most only up to 5 letters. After that, well, not quite useless, but lets say "less effective"

You are not going to tell me I mean "affective", are you?

lol
Cheers,

Not a chance. I don't usually bother with stuff like that unless I think it's funny. Which this one was. The whole idea that I am only relatively relevant in my ripe old age just got me laughing like an old fool. I couldn't help sharing the laugh.

If I know what the writer meant to say, it's all good.

But ya, affect and effect are sometimes badly abused. I don't give a ****.

My bride loves wordle too. She is playing it as I write this.

Status
Not open for further replies.