New project, redneck power feed

thriller007

So I i’ve been working on the redneck power feed for the mill. I had a couple of limit switches but I see that they are normally open. I was going to use them for limit switches to shut the power feed off at both ends of the travel. Is there a way to wire them in or do I have to use a normally closed. This is how I am wiring this up.

Attachments

• E2680DDE-165C-4332-B608-5D46B6B4411B.jpeg
    E2680DDE-165C-4332-B608-5D46B6B4411B.jpeg
    259.6 KB · Views: 16

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Following along as parts for my power feed just arrived.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
The easiest way to convert those is with a relay. to simplify the wiring I would recommend buying some different limit switches. search for Omron limit switches.

thriller007

There were many different approaches to doing this. Most of them involved doing a direct drive. I found with the motor that I had that direct drive was too fast and not enough torque so I devised a system to gear it down to approximately half. On the top photo you will notice that the pivot point is rotated upward disengaging the gears. The gears I’m running are at 15 tooth on the drive and 31 tooth on the driven. The motor is just from princess auto. My plan was to Mount the limit switches something like the last picture where you could have an arm that comes down and hits them to shut the power feed off.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 19
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 19
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 19
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

thriller007

Also the control panel coming along

Attachments

• 3F5F05C2-B3E4-4B72-8831-3C00EE0C44BC.jpeg
    3F5F05C2-B3E4-4B72-8831-3C00EE0C44BC.jpeg
    104.9 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

thriller007

@thriller007 did your motors come with a gear. I have a couple of PA motors that look similar but don’t have a gear on the output.
No my motors did not come with a gear on the end of them. They come with a screw that was more of a acme thread. I turn that down and then press fit on my own gear that originally came on a cx605

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
Now you have me looking at power feeds again:rolleyes:

Hi Craig, somewhere I read a brief article as to re-using vehicle window motors for power feeds. Wasn't much information in the way of specifics or drawings so I can't explain the setup other than they didn't use window units with plastic gearing. Unfortunately the article didn't mention anything on the power supply. This idea could very well be worth exploring saving you from laying out a ton of coin.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I figure I’ll be in for about $200 when I’m done.

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
Yup, I’ve got the motor and controller. Just waiting on the power supply.

Hi David, perhaps you would expand on the motor and controller components, what to look for, where you found then etc. Also include info on the power supply. You know all the background music so to speak. Enjoyed the videos!

Best of the Holiday Season to all where ever you be so play safe!