• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

New Milling Machine - Craftex CX-601

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
Throw those chips !!
Work with that mill and get to know its capabilities.

To ensure rigidity use all your axis locks, even in the plane you are cutting.
The locks will minimize any chatter that the cutters will produce.

Try to mill towards your ‘fixed’ vise jaw.
If you are squaring stock, some machinists even use a round pin between the moving vise jaw and the stock piece to ensure that the part is held to the ’fixed’ jaw. Just make sure that the vise is trammed square.

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
As you guys probably saw in the other thread, I finally got around to building a stand for the machine...here's the associated video/walkthrough:

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
Slightly off topic, but are these the tool chests that you have under your lathe?

Are you happy with them?

I'm thinking about adding some drawers below my main workbench.

Yup, those look like the right ones...I would say they're ok, but have one big flaw and that is the bottom of the drawers are lacking some support, they bow down with even a tiny bit of weight in them and rub against the drawer below. I've meant to weld in some extra support but haven't gotten around to it yet. Otherwise the drawer slides are nice and the overall fit/finish/metal quality seemed good for the price.

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
I just joined the forum and have had the same machine for a number of years now. I have sorted out a few bugs installed a 3 axis DRO and an X axis power feed so I could possibly help you out there.

Welcome aboard :) start a thread and share the info, would love to see it!

cncguy

Brand New Member
Probably time to start a thread on this rather than continuing in my WTB thread as my adventures in milling begin.

I picked up a used CX-601 with stand for $3000 in quite good condition a couple weeks ago:

View attachment 24740

I haven't really done much on it yet, other than a couple test cuts with a 1/2" end mill in aluminum, can be seen here:

Seems to work pretty well. I am going to do a full walkthrough video on bringing it home and through the features, so watch for that coming soon.

I've picked up a bunch of the usual accessories for it already, a 5" vise, collets, end mills, parallels, v blocks, edge finder, keyless drill chuck, clamp down kit, etc. but am sure I'll pick up more as I do new things.

I do want a couple other big upgrades though, namely a power feed for the X axis and probably more importantly a DRO. Anyone have suggestions on what to get for each of those?
nice looking mill, what is the X travel ?