New Mill

Congrats!

Do you have a lathe yet?

Regardless, I have made an important observation about the members on this forum - which includes myself. We all seem to spend an inordinate amount of time and effort making tools for our tools.... :p

We only get one journey of life on this planet. Make sure you enjoy the trip. Make some stuff for the people you love and HAVE FUN! ;)
Wait a minute..... Are you implying that these machines can be used for some other purpose than repairing and re-tooling themselves? I'm still getting over the shock that we don't just collect them, I like collecting things, in fact the wife says it is one of my greatest talents.... :p

Wait a minute..... Are you implying that these machines can be used for some other purpose than repairing and re-tooling themselves? I'm still getting over the shock that we don't just collect them, I like collecting things, in fact the wife says it is one of my greatest talents.... :p
Yes, I have a 7X12 mini lathe, so this addition is a must, can't wait to pi k it up Friday, ill also be getting some end mills and clamping and who knows, I got a grand to spend on tooling lol

Yes, I have a 7X12 mini lathe, so this addition is a must, can't wait to pi k it up Friday, ill also be getting some end mills and clamping and who knows, I got a grand to spend on tooling lol
If I may offer a suggestion, only spend a little on the essentials now and save the majority for when you have a specific need... This is a hobby that's easy to get caught up in spending on tooling that looked more useful in the store than the toolbox at home..... This is advice that I am better at giving than following...;)

If I may offer a suggestion, only spend a little on the essentials now and save the majority for when you have a specific need... This is a hobby that's easy to get caught up in spending on tooling that looked more useful in the store than the toolbox at home..... This is advice that I am better at giving than following...;)
Lol, thanks, I know I'm bad for that myself

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I was justvreading up on that mill, and its already got the belt drive, it has no gears

Any so it does, I just looked at the manual. That's a good thing.....

I always thought the 612 was nothing more than a 605 with a brushless motor.

Now I wonder if the down feed is different as well. Then you wouldn't need the LMS air spring kit.

Last edited:
Any so it does, I just looked at the manual. That's a good thing.....

I always thought the 612 was nothing more than a 605 with a brushless motor.

Now I wonder if the down feed is different as well. Then you wouldn't need the LMS air spring kit.
Yeah I don't know now, huh, it's the 612 but when you read the specs on it it say no belt changing required anymore for different spindle speeds.

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
I researched the Craftex Line before I bought my KING mill.
They are very similar, just keep in mind they are mini-mills.

Make sure you mount it on a solid bench or stand that you can load down with the heaviest things you have in your shop. Vibration can be dampened and minimized with stability and mass.
Attached is a tripod base I built for my KC-15VS.

Attachments

• B90AEF64-F5FB-4A8C-8C89-9B7B7CF28C38.jpeg
    B90AEF64-F5FB-4A8C-8C89-9B7B7CF28C38.jpeg
    503.6 KB · Views: 7
  • CC7DC33B-AE42-4558-94AD-4E45795206B6.jpeg
    CC7DC33B-AE42-4558-94AD-4E45795206B6.jpeg
    503.3 KB · Views: 7
I researched the Craftex Line before I bought my KING mill.
They are very similar, just keep in mind they are mini-mills.

Make sure you mount it on a solid bench or stand that you can load down with the heaviest things you have in your shop. Vibration can be dampened and minimized with stability and mass.
Attached is a tripod base I built for my KC-15VS.
how do you like your King ? Any regrets ?

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Spent time with my Who Flung Dung yesterday changing speeds, 2 belts and 3 cone sheaves, major pain in the back side. Think it is time for a 3phase/VFD conversion. It's a 1.5hp so i think a 2hp 3phase would be a good addition. Only draw back is that i run it on 110v as i don't have 220 close by it's present location.

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
Like many hobbyists, I have a room in our basement where I do my design and machining.
There is no way that I will be moving a full size (2500lb) knee mill down the stairs and in place.

And I used to be a machinist for ExCellO, who made very good knee mills until they were purchased and cut into several divisions in the last 20 years.

Mini-Mills are a very capable for small projects (12L x 6W x 12H inches).
I bought the KING mill because it is 3/4hp, R8 spindle and has Canadian roots.
Mounting and using the proper cutters are the keys to using the mini-mills.
Build a solid base, use sharp cutters and make sure you use the axis locks.

I have had a lot of success machining HRS, but I think I can do more if I buy some carbide inserted 1” End Mills. They can be reasonable if you search the Net.
ACCUSIZE has many tool configurations available and they have a site in Richmond Hill.

The Shop Fox MIII caught my eye when I was researching. How is yours ?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Spent time with my Who Flung Dung yesterday changing speeds, 2 belts and 3 cone sheaves, major pain in the back side. Think it is time for a 3phase/VFD conversion. It's a 1.5hp so i think a 2hp 3phase would be a good addition. Only draw back is that i run it on 110v as i don't have 220 close by it's present location.

I prolly wouldn't give this advice to very many people, and I'd bet good bucks that somebody on here is gunna ream me for saying this, but you are a farm boy...... All you really need is two 120 outlets that are on opposite sides of the neutral and two extension cords into a joiner box with a 220 output...... :cool:

Just sayin...... ;)

And if that needs further explanation then just forget what I said....... :oops:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Teco makes an L510 VFD with a 120v input, 240v 3phase output.

Really? I must have missed that! I did talk to a TECO engineer back when I was shopping and I mentioned to him that it was entirely possible with a small fly back or a large transformer, or similar arrangement but he didn't bite at the time. Maybe he chewed on it and they did it!

Anyway, I have not seen that. I'll see if I can find it but if you have a link, I'd love to see it.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Teco makes an L510 VFD with a 120v input, 240v 3phase output.

I looked Darren. They do! The max size right now is 1HP, but they do! The model number is L510-101-H1-U. It is 4.3Amps so someday we might see a 2 or 3 hp unit. Wouldn't that be awesome!

Thanks for adding to my knowledge base!

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Really? I must have missed that! I did talk to a TECO engineer back when I was shopping and I mentioned to him that it was entirely possible with a small fly back or a large transformer, or similar arrangement but he didn't bite at the time. Maybe he chewed on it and they did it!

Anyway, I have not seen that. I'll see if I can find it but if you have a link, I'd love to see it.
My bad, looks like the 120v input units are only rated for 1hp. I thought they were good for 2hp.