New Mill

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Well I've bought a mini mill, this it it, it the CX612.
Can't wait to play around with it, I pick it up Friday

Congrats!

Do you have a lathe yet?

Regardless, I have made an important observation about the members on this forum - which includes myself. We all seem to spend an inordinate amount of time and effort making tools for our tools.... :p

We only get one journey of life on this planet. Make sure you enjoy the trip. Make some stuff for the people you love and HAVE FUN! ;)

deleted_user

Super User
Congrats!

Do you have a lathe yet?

Regardless, I have made an important observation about the members on this forum - which includes myself. We all seem to spend an inordinate amount of time and effort making tools for our tools.... :p

We only get one journey of life on this planet. Make sure you enjoy the trip. Make some stuff for the people you love and HAVE FUN! ;)
pretty much all I do. aside from making tools for all my other hobbies.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member

So true. My main hobby is model engines (backstoped by watches, clocks and some electronics). I've made some, but most of my time has been spent designing, making and reconditioning tools/machines. A certain amount of that is good....serving your apprenticeship as it were. However I'm increasingly of the view that its now only worthy my time if it wouldn't come into to existance otherwise.

Not just tooling.... DRO's, as the dials are useless on these machines and the LMS belt drive conversion and the LMS air spring conversion. Your looking at another $500 cad.
Sounds like you trying to detour me, another $500 to a grand I can handle

It's just for hobbyists type of stuff, bushings maybe some tooling.
I already have all that stuff coming from LMS.
I just need to figure out what cutter are the best for .y dollar spent

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
That was my first mill. did few tiny projects on it but mostly it was work trying to make it into a real milling machine. removing the back washer and making her 90 degrees non swivel, exoskeleton for the base and column etc. At least I learned TIG welding. Others do far more, they modify head rising and lowering mechanism, add high speed conversion etc. The problem is this sucker after all that is added is more expensive then much larger mills.

She is OK for tiny projects, do not exceed 3/8 EM size for any reasonable cut in steel.

I've had the most success with 2 flute. As well they are the easiest to re-sharpen. Try both and decide for yourself.
Yeah, I can see that a 2 flute would be way easier to sharpen, speaking of sharpening, 1 of the projects I want to do is to build a sharpening jig for drill bits and end mills