• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

New member bought a new to me Standard Modern lathe. Have a question about the model #

T34AG

I recently bought a standard modern 1320 . I’ve looked everywhere including the SM website where I looked at the old drawings and manuals and I can find no mention of this machine.… I see 1120 and 1334 1340 but no 1320. It looks to me like a 1120 … so I wonder would it be a late model 1120 that they later changed the name to 1320 ( since 13” is what it would actually swing)
Has anyone here care to comment . It’s a metric only machine and I don’t have it home yet so no serial # Thanks for letting me join the forum. D7C41779-48AD-45F5-91BD-2C81900B7ADE.jpeg

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
There are at least four other "1120" machines in the forum and yours is the first I've seen actually labeled "1320". You can use the 1334 manual from SM and are covered for specs/parts/pieces or the "Model 1120" manual. The only difference I know of between the 1120 and the 1320 is the label.
As to age, let us know serial number, mine is 11860 and I believe it's an early 90's model.
I've had mine for three years already and luv it.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I recently bought a standard modern 1320 .

I don't know anything about your model name question.

But that lathe is gorgeous! Looks like you are one very lucky fellow!

Welcome to the forum!

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
The "1334-Mil" manual has all the detailed drawings for the lathe. The "mil" denotes the military spec machine that is AFAIK is the same machine just had all the optional equipment included and the more detailed manual.

T34AG

Thanks all for the warm welcome and info . I’m just an almost retired hobbyist / garage tinkerer kind of guy but I hope to put the machine to good use.
The lathe did not have a 4 jaw but did have the taper attachment and that cool metric thread follower thingy. Also had both steadies inside the cabinet but I was too excited and forgot to ask if they actually fit the machine..Ha ha
Again, thanks from PEI

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Something else to have look at is the rear spindle bearing. On my machine the bearing was working it's out of the HS so I had to make a retainer plate to keep it in place. I believe others have had to do the same.

1705684507150.jpeg

T34AG

Ok. Appreciate that info on the rear spindle bearing.. I checked and it seems it has not moved but I’ll do something similar to your idea just in case.
Also the serial # in the recess near the tail stock has only 4 digits. # 9181
I don’t see any other numbers . Is there somewhere else I should look?

The lathe works great .. Keep in mind I’m just a hobby guy and no expert …but it seems really high quality and even at 1800 rpm it seems quiet . Super wide range of speeds as originally built but I may put a 3 phase motor and VFD on it anyhow Really only for motor smoothness and soft start . I have VFD on another lathe and really like it.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I have VFD on another lathe and really like it.

Your points are big for me too. But I would add lower speeds than lowest speed w/o a VFD, electronic resistive braking, reverse on the fly, and the potential to use a slightly bigger motor w/o over stressing the gear train. Lotsa reasons to go 3ph w VFD.

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Welcome from Campbell River on Vancouver Island!

That's a beautiful looking lathe. You'll get good service for the rest of your life I would think. And a good size. Congratulations.

slow-poke

Ultra Member
I'm curious what is a fair price for one of these SM in good working order?

My buddy has one that he has reworked to better than new and it puts my CX706 to shame, sort of like Corvette to Yugo comparison.

My only real concern purchasing is how used up is it?

Brent H

Ultra Member
So the 1020/1230 Utilathe swing more like 11 and 13. My gather is that “bigger was better” so the 10/12 were re-named the 11/13 series 2000 and then just on from there. The 12/14/16 STD lathes are a complete different animal. I will post what I can about the lathes. Will take a bit to
Get all the data out there