New member bought a new to me Standard Modern lathe. Have a question about the model #

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
I think depending on when the lathe was made it could have either of the two follow rests below. The first drawing is dated 1982 and the second (upside down, oops) is dated 1972.
1705720971103.png 1705721076859.png

I'm curious what is a fair price for one of these SM in good working order?
That's a really subjective question, what condition is the lathe in, what "stuff" comes with, what's in your wallet, who is selling it and where the lathe is. You could get a "you suck" deal or pay $4-5K or more depending on how bad you want it. Keep an eye on the auctions.

@T34AG - thanks for the SN, that is the one for the complete machine. Any other nice thing is that if you need a longer bed all you need is a 34" bed and then swap your headstock and all the other stuff onto the longer bed.

I think most of us are just hobby types so don't let that stop you from asking questions or trying anything.

slow-poke

Ultra Member
These two statements contradict each other pretty heavily when they are both the subject of same lathe..... :rolleyes:
The two statements are not about the same lathe.

My neighbor picked one up about six months ago with a known gearbox problem. IIRC he paid $600 in Hamilton. He then bypassed the gear box (using ELS instead), reworked everything down to meticulously hand scraping all the mating surfaces. Replaced the drive motor with a large servo etc. it's unquestionably better than new.

I'm just hoping he decides to upgrade again and sell, I may be first in line. He just sold for $4500 his old upgraded PM (near identical to my BB CX706, except the upgrades). It sold in one or two days.

T34AG

@T34AG - hows the new machine doing for you?
Really pleased with the machine now that I spent some time on it….runs excellent! It’s a metric only machine but I’m ok with that as I also have an inch Colchester Student. They both are nice machines but the SM 1120/1320 is a real cream puff in my opinion. Very impressive apron and carriage for a lathe this small and the taper attachment is built like a tank.

I still haven’t been able to discover why mine is labeled 1320. The label certainly looks original . The CSA tag on the bed also says 1320. Just curious that’s all.
I feel really fortunate that I found it so close to home. Not many good lathes come up for sale near me.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I still haven’t been able to discover why mine is labeled 1320. The label certainly looks original . The CSA tag on the bed also says 1320. Just curious that’s all.

Many lathes are identified as throw and between centers. If so, the 1120 has an 11 inch throw and the 1320 has a 13 inch throw and both have a bed that is 20 inches between centers. It's not universal, but it's something to consider.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Herein lies the confusion with this machine. The 1120 in reality has a "13" swing but is labelled as an 11 and no one knows why. @RobinHood and I had a chat about this a while back and about the only thing we came up with is that there was a printing error at some point that wasn't caught until late. By that time there were to many machines produced to easily correct the error and they just left it that way. All theory on our part but sounds plausible.

@T34AG - I feel the same about my machine, it will need to pealed from my cold dead hands for anybody else to have it. And since my name isn't Edgar that's not a challenge! LOL:D