• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

New from Ontariariario

mechaform

Hello,

I’d like to thank @Janger and @PeterT for their extra efforts in getting me connected here. The site would not send a confirmation email to either address I tried to register with. Saw that there were a number of AB members and reached out to that community.

Finally back to metalworking after a prolonged absence. Primarily using a battered Taig microlathe and newer Taig benchtop mill, but I have some larger machines (and one smaller) in various states of (dis)repair. Trying to squeeze time in to make useful accessories, then tackle some small steam engine projects. Located just west of the GTA.

Chris

Last edited:

mechaform

Thank you all for your welcome. I'll be nosing through the various subjects in the forum for quite a while.

As I also dabble in woodworking, I usually try to attend the semi-annual "Tools of the Trades" show in Pickering, ON.
I've noted a variety of machinists' tools there during the last few; picked up a Mitutoyo height gauge at one.

There are always more projects to undertake than there are hours to spend. Consequently, my basement is in constant disarray.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Welcome from east of the GTA. I also like going to the tools of the trade show, and can actually make the one coming up after missing the last few. Usually always come away with something I didn't know I needed until I got there.

trlvn

Ultra Member
Welcome from Oakville. Your list of machines is pretty interesting. Care to share any pictures of the less-common ones? Any stories to go with them?

Craig

mechaform

Welcome from Oakville. Your list of machines is pretty interesting. Care to share any pictures of the less-common ones? Any stories to go with them?

Craig
I'd love to share pics but, as I noted, most of them are "started" projects that haven't yet been finished. This leaves them less than photogenic.
This means anything horizontal ended up as a place to put something "temporarily", and bits of some machines have migrated away from their proper places.
My reach exceeded my grasp when it came to tools. I do not have sufficient space and time to address the massive backlog/log jam I created.
I've been thinking about thinning the herd slightly, but even that would be a Herculean effort given current circumstances.
I'll try to find put together a couple of pics over the next week or so.
<edit>This "working for a living" thing really cuts into my tinkering time.</edit>

Last edited:

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
Welcome Chris
Lots of experiences in this group.
There is getting to be quite a few members in the Kitchener area.
I visit Mississauga, Burlington and Woodstock a couple times a week, if you need something picked up at KBC or another machining vendor, let me know.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Welcome from Ontario South of Chatham. Glad we got you going. There is still a lot of damage from the Christmas Crash.

Kudos to you for sticking with it. Stubbornness is an asset around here..... LOL!

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Welcome aboard. Great group here.

So just how far “west of the GTA”
If i moved a km west I'd out of the GTA and living in Hamilton. So maybe we’re almost neighbours. Come on over for a coffee!